Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

uniforms in the rain

Khaki

I am curious to know whether Great War British uniforms were given any waterproofing treatment, or was the wool expected to repel water, did it?

khaki

I'm guessing there was an overwhelming smell of wet dog, sogginess and no waterproofing. I speak as the owner of a 1940s wool Swedish army tunic that's been rained on. Happy to be corrected.

Dave.

The groundsheet was waterproof which could be slung over the shoulders, maybe put a spare shoelace through two of the eyelets to make a sort of cape. The late 16/1916 groundsheet was designed for this dual purpose, it had buttons, an additional piece and a collar so it could be worn as a waterproof cape

I would agree with RobL except it ought to be borne in mind that whilst the wool serge of the uniform tunic & breeches, and also the Greatcoat we're well able to cope with light periodic rain, the problems of keeping dry really get going in long and persistent heavy downpours, which were soon being encountered in Flanders. The material can only absorb so much before it becomes saturated, draining down to the bottoms of the garments and through to the skin, where before long the wearer has to accept they are soaked to the skin - boots and socks included. The Groundsheet/Cape with collar was not designed at the outbreak of the war and so as Rob says the only form of protection from the wet was the rectangular Groundsheet, originally designed to give the man something dry to lie on when trying to sleep. I personally don't think it was ever originally designed to be worn, and it was necessity which prompted the men to take to tying them around their shoulders, held together with a spare boot lace or length of string.

In 1914, hundreds of thousands of volunteers will have been former agricultural workers or other outdoor labourers who would have already been well used to the concept of getting wet when it rained, but for many office workers, life at the front would certainly take some adapting to.

Dave

Thanks for the replies, the question occured to me when I was thinking of the 'oilskins' that I had to wear many years ago. My hands always seemed to get the oil on them and I wondered if a similar 'oil' might have been applied to uniforms.

thanks again

khaki

I'm pretty sure I've also seen photos of men with sacking (sandbags?) tied round their shoulders. Presumably needs must when the Devil drives ...

I have seen the sacking too, but I had thought that it was a measure to protect the shoulders when carrying things such as lumber or barbed wire screw stakes. I dont know whether sacking would afford much protection from the rain?

khaki

In my younger days (late 1930s and '40s) all kinds of outdoor workers wore sacking over heads and shoulders in rain: binmen, road sweepers and roadworks gangs, possibly milkmen. This may have faded out when war surplus uniforms and groundsheets came on the market.

The superb Malins 'Battle of the Somme' film shows a crew of a 9.2 inch howitzer at work wearing waterproof clothing and sou'wester hats, look like a bunch of fishermen rather than artillery crew

I have seen the sacking too, but I had thought that it was a measure to protect the shoulders when carrying things such as lumber or barbed wire screw stakes. I dont know whether sacking would afford much protection from the rain?

khaki

I would suspect the sacking that can be seen in use will more than likely be hessian sacking which due to being made from jute has certain natural oils in it which give it the edge over such as cotton in helping to shed water. Therefore, in some small way it would afford a tad more protection from the wet.

Dave

The superb Malins 'Battle of the Somme' film shows a crew of a 9.2 inch howitzer at work wearing waterproof clothing and sou'wester hats, look like a bunch of fishermen rather than artillery crew

The gun crew you are referencing are Royal Marines Artillery and hence are wearing RN issue foul weather kit.

The humble sack or sometimes two was favoured outer wear well into the 60's and 70's on construction sites, farms, and council workers.

One closed corner tucked into the other forms a "pixie" for the head held by a noose around the neck leaving the apron to drape the shoulders.The lot worn over the beloved standard issue donkey jacket

The winters of '47 & '63 tested these in huge quantities. Later adaptations for the upper layer saw the plastic fertiliser bag rear its beautiful head.

In the 40's for more exotic uses my mam would use the highly prized 2cwt. Silcocks Flour type sack.

Excellent cotton material remodelled into household linen, school shirts, even footy shirts after bleaching etc.

Unfortunately the logo would re emerge faintly when wet!