Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Bn Royal Irish Rifles - December 1917.

MickLeeds

Hello,

I'm posting to see if anyone has a copy of the war diary for the 8th Royal Irish Rifles covering the first 2 weeks of December 1917.

Cheers,

Mick.

This was handwritten and at times difficult to decipher, hence "?" in parts. Where written in capitals I have included. Hope this helps.

Anne

8/9 Bn. R.Irish Rifles - December 1917

1st - COURCELLES-LE-COMTE Marched to BEAULENCOURT in afternoon, arr. about 8pm. Quartered in NISSEN huts.

2nd - Continued march to LECHELLE starting about 10am accommodated in hutted camp.

3rd - Stand by waiting for orders. Advantage was taken of the halt to re-organise companies and prepare for battle.

4th - Moved about mid-day up to the line and took over Lincoln Avenue trenches near VILLERS PLOUGH? (France sheet S7C S.E. -R.13) at dusk. Details - left out of action. Went to MANANCOURT.

5th - Held line, everything quite quiet.

6th - Withdrew to METZ at dusk.

7th - Interior? economy? and baths.

8th - Relieved 10R.hrs. Fus in left sub-sector, holding from grid-line between R4 and R10 to R5a.&3.

9th - Details, moved from MANANCOURT-SOREL-LE-GRAND. Battalion remained in line.

10th-13th - Remained in line. No operations developed on either side and everything quite quiet. Trench conditions rather bad. Casualties light.

Sighed J. McCallen? Major Comdg. 8/9th Bn Roy.Irish Rifles

Mick, I have sent you a PM.

Anne

Hello Anne,

Thats excellent. I've sent you a pm.

Thank you very much,

Mick.