Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Missing Star?

charliec

I have inherited the medals and death Plaque of a distant relative who was KIA on 4th October 1917.

He originally enlisted / conscripted into Somerset LI and transferred at some point to 14th Batt Royal Warwicks.

His MIC shows only the War and Victory medals issued (of which I have), should he have received the Star (1915) also?

Thanks in advance

CharlieC

Charlie,

You don't say when he first went overseas. If after the end of 1915 then he wouldn't qualify for the star.

A look at his MIC will confirm when he first qualified. If you don't have access to Ancestry, post his name and

service number and someone will probably look it up for you.

I have inherited the medals and death Plaque of a distant relative who was KIA on 4th October 1917.

He originally enlisted / conscripted into Somerset LI and transferred at some point to 14th Batt Royal Warwicks.

His MIC shows only the War and Victory medals issued (of which I have), should he have received the Star (1915) also?

Thanks in advance

CharlieC

Hi Charlie,

It depends when he went overseas, if he served in a theatre of was prior to 31st December, 1915, then he should be entitled to the 1914/15 Star, if however he went overseas after 1st January, 1916, then he will only be entitled to the BWM and VM.

If you could post his details on here then it will be possible to ascertain if his service papers have survived. If they have, then these should confirm when he went overseas. If his papers have not survived then it may be worthwhile checking the local newspapers for the area in which he was living at the time of his death, these usually contain photos and obituaries of those killed in the war and should confirm when he went overseas and possibly much more.

Robert

If the MIC only shows the two medals, then it is almost certain that he was not entitled to a star. Most star awards are to be foun d on the same MIC, along with the date of entry into a qualifying theatre of war. I'm sure there are exceptions, but surely there can't be many MICS in existence for the star alone.

Keith

If the MIC only shows the two medals, then it is almost certain that he was not entitled to a star. Most star awards are to be foun d on the same MIC, along with the date of entry into a qualifying theatre of war. I'm sure there are exceptions, but surely there can't be many MICS in existence for the star alone.

"Split" MIC's where usually the 1914 or 1914-15 Star is on one card and the BWM and VM is on another are suprising common.

Hi, thanks for your responses

The person in question was Harold Druce, 14th Bat. Royal Warwicks. No.18478 (formerly Somerset LI No. 24556, info from Soldiers Who Died In Great War database).

He was killed on 4/10/1917 presumably when his unit was in support of the Canadians attacking Polderhoek.

It's unknown when joined up or went overseas, his MIC is not dated either.

I've written to both Rifles museum at Taunton and Royal Warwicks, but neither have records.

Thanks in advance

CharlieC

My Grandfather did not receive the Star and I believe this may have been an oversight.

He did however serve and was wounded in the Cameroon campaign in 1914/15 and saw action in Togoland before arriving back in Britain Nov 27 1915.

We do however have a medal ribbon of his which has all three medals !! He clearly felt he needed to make a point!!

Who do I contact in the MoD about a late award of the missing Star !!!

I'm serious. It would be a nice 90th birthday present to my mother this year.

No Star's mentioned on his MIC

Neither is the Somerst LI mentioned

Nor when he entered Theatre or where

Cant see any other cards with a SLI number on either

Grant

• Admin

The medal rolls show he never served abroad with the Somerset LI and as the 14th Warwicks only landed in France on 21 November 1915, his number is too high to make it likely he was in the battalion early enough to qualify.

Glen

My Grandfather did not receive the Star and I believe this may have been an oversight.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/medals-british-armed-services-campaign-service.htm#19846

6. Replacing and claiming medals

It is no longer possible to replace campaign medals issued for service before 1920.

Replacement of medals issued for service after 1920 is still possible.

Write to the Armed Services Medal Office at Ministry of Defence Medal Office, AFPAA (JPAC), Building 250, RAF Innsworth, GL3 1HW. Tel: =44 (0)800 085 3600

John

He did however serve and was wounded in the Cameroon campaign in 1914/15 and saw action in Togoland before arriving back in Britain Nov 27 1915.

We do however have a medal ribbon of his which has all three medals !! He clearly felt he needed to make a point!!

Who do I contact in the MoD about a late award of the missing Star !!!

I'm serious. It would be a nice 90th birthday present to my mother this year.

Derek,

I believe that as archangel has pointed out it is not now possible to obtain replacement WW1 medals. An alternative would be to buy an unamed original 1914/15 Star from Chris Dixon at Dixon's Medals of Bridlington. These sell for circa £65 + Postage.

I know that it will not have your G.F.'s name on it but it would be better than one with another name on it or even an erased one.

Robert