The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Need help with Mystery Military Hosp. in Ottawa

Guest Pangela84

Hi there,

My grandmother was apparently born in a military hospital in Ottawa. She was given a series of numbers and letters that began with the words "RCF". Her mother told her that the hospital burnt down and that is why her long-form birth certificate or hospital record is gone. Does anyone have any idea of what hospitals were around in Ottawa in 1914 (the year my grandmother was born)? She was definitely born in Ottawa. Her long-form birth certificate has just been released and I am waiting to see the microfilm but I don't think that the name of the hospital will be be on there.

However, I should note that my grandmother always felt that her father was not her REAL father. And I am not sure why she would be have been born in a military hospital since her parents had NO affiliation with the military. Perhaps someone could help me on this. It's a family mystery. She is the eldest out of four siblings who was born in Ottawa as her father was working there at a printer. And they stayed in a hotel temporarily. The whole thing is shrouded in mystery. Her mother was 6 months pregnant at the time of her wedding to her husband. Who knows if the numbers and letters my grandmother was given was just a way to distract her from finding out the truth. Normally they resided in Montreal. It sounds like some obscure military hospital.

Thanks so much!!!

Angela

Hi Angela,

You may not be aware that there is a Canadian WW1 site - if you google Canadian Expeditionary Force Study Group you will find it - some of us are members of both. I'm sure someone from the other side of the pond will be along here shortly but you may want to join CEFSG yourself and post your query there.

There are some threads about Military Hospitals on the site - I was looking at one yesterday.

Best Wishes

Steve Y

Thank you so much Steve! I will check this out! It's fascinating forsure. Cheers!!

Hi Angela,

You may not be aware that there is a Canadian WW1 site - if you google Canadian Expeditionary Force Study Group you will find it - some of us are members of both. I'm sure someone from the other side of the pond will be along here shortly but you may want to join CEFSG yourself and post your query there.

There are some threads about Military Hospitals on the site - I was looking at one yesterday.

Best Wishes

Steve Y