Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1:40,000 scale Trench Maps

CROONAERT

There's plenty of information around on 1:20,000 scale and (especially) 1:10,000 scale trench maps, but does anyone know the (approx.) date when the British started to print and use trenchmaps in 1:40,000 scale? All of those I own or have ever owned seem to date from the late summer of 1918 onwards, but I'm sure I can recall seeing one from late 1917.

Cheers

Dave

(PS. I'm not referring here to the 1:40,000 scale WO situation maps that showed the approximate locations of lines of defences.nor the 'Enemy Situation maps', but to actual fully detailed trench maps on a par with the larger scale versions)

It's in Artillery's Astrologers I think, I'll check tonight.

It's in Artillery's Astrologers I think, I'll check tonight.

Thanks, but no need (I've got a copy of it , but didn't recall seeing any date mentioned... I'll re-check it myself later)

Cheers.

Dave.

Gives me a bloody headache, that book! :unsure:

According to a brief skim through it, it looks like a date of April/May 1918 is given for what I'm looking for. Not sure whether I agree with this though (it may mention an earlier date, but I didn't see it during my quick flick through).... going to have to try and find that one dated 1917, then!

Dave