Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Whiteman Brothers

dalew067

Hi All,

Can anyone help me identify which regiment these chaps served with.?

I am researching 2 brothers for a relative. The only information I have are these 2 photos and date of birth and death. Both served in UK forces.

One is Cecil Frederick Whiteman he is the guy that's sitting. He was born in 1889, and family info states that he died before 1918. No details on CWGC & I cant find any other info except for a medal card on Ancestry for Cecil Whiteman of the ASC Corps #T/392728.. Not familiar with uniforms so don't know if its the right fellow/record.

The second guy (standing) is Bernard Whiteman. Born 1896, died NSW Australia 1978.

Thanks in anticipation

Dale

post-76300-0-81177000-1360558312_thumb.jpost-76300-0-05324600-1360558331_thumb.j

No expert but the lad on the left looks as if he may be Royal Engineers,going on his collar badge.

The other lad may be Pte 99 Bernard Whiteman Royal Sussex Regiment ?

Gary

I agree with Gary that the officer on the left is in the Royal Engineers. The soldier at right is more difficult, but his cap badge certainly looks star shaped and that chimes with the Royal Sussex Regiment, whose badge I enclose.

post-599-0-68509400-1360576459_thumb.jpg

I have had another look and it may be Pte 14661 Bernard Whiteman of The East Surrey Regiment,if you have a look on Ancestry this lad has pension records,if you have more information on him you should be able to rule him in or out.

Gary

Forgot to say you will have to look for him as 112766 Bernard Whiteman of the Royal Fusiliers,this lad was 19 in 1915 so may be in with a shout.

Cecil Frederick Whiteman appears to be a unique name per the Birth Register indexes (at least in the UK). The probate records on Ancestry show a Cecil Frederick Whiteman, of Greystones, Runton Road, Parkstone, Dorset, husband of Nellie Whiteman as dying on 2nd November 1941.

Death registers show Ceoil Frederick Whiteman, born about 1889, death registered in the Poole, Dorest district (Vol. 5a, page 532) in the O-N-D quarter of 1941.

It may be that he survived some way past 1918.....

His portrait is also that of an officer, which narrows the field considerably....

Steve.

...Death registers show Ceoil Frederick Whiteman, born about 1889, death registered in the Poole, Dorest district (Vol. 5a, page 532) in the O-N-D quarter of 1941.

...Steve.

The Ceoil is just another Ancestry mis-transcription. :( Every typed c on the register page could be read as an o, if the transcriber was not using a little comonsense.

It's OK on FMP.

The Inward Passenger lists show a 49 year old Bernard Whiteman returning from Quebec in 1945 to the same address shown on the probate - i.e. Greystones, Runton Road, Parkstone.

Steve.

The man in the left hand picture is a bit of a mystery, he is wearing grenades on his collar, either RE or RA and what appears to be a Dorsetshire cap badge. The man on the right looks to me to have an East Surrey cap badge in his hat. As to whether the man in the left picture borrowed or accidently picked up someone else's hat in the studio is pure speculation.

Rob

I think this is him:

Admiralty: Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services

Reference:ADM 188/422/465

Description: Name Whiteman, Cecil

Official Number: 237965

Place of Birth: Brixton, London 20-08-1889

Date: 1906

Held by: The National Archives, Kew

Former references: in its original department: Vol No.237-2

Legal status: Public Record

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D6740297

How that matches to the uniform, I don't know!

Steve.

Although outside my area of expertise, I will say the uniform may be the Royal Marine Artillery.

The Pension record for Bernard Whiteman in the East Surreys looks like it is him when comparing the address for William Whiteman on the Ancestry trees. It shows his address as Christchurch School House, West Croydon the same address as the address of the parents WIlliam and Ellen Whiteman on the 1911 Census.

He has an interesting war, serving with the 13th (Wandsworth) Battalion of the East Surreys and then with the 8th Battalion of the East Surreys when the 13th Battalion was reduced in size prior to disbandment. He was wounded twice and then gassed. He worked as a farm labourer in Uruguay before enlisting.

Having had a look online, I won't ask if the name of the photographer gives us any clues!! :D

Steve.

Gidday everybody,

Thanks very much for your suggestions, I'll pass them on to my relative.

Regards

Dale