Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

For all you Medal buffs

Malcolm

Not WW1 but -

An article in my local paper refers to the sale by auction of Major John Cook's VC awarded during the Afghan War of 1878. The sale is at Dix Noonan Webb in London.

Anyone got a spare £100,000 - £250,000?? :blink:

Aye

Malcolm

It does seem like an obscene amount of money especially when you consider how many VC holders esp those from the ranks who ended there lives in poverty.

Tamarin

You will have to save even harder, there are 2 VCs in this sale. They come from an amazing collection of medals to the Indian Army that is being sold.

Steve

OOOOOH it gets better! The sale is the VC, three other medals ( not specified), two photographs of Major Cook, a portrait on porcelain and a letter from his brother Walter. A bargain then.

Aye

Malcolm

Yeah, Ian, and I think I can chuck in Churchill's MIC and Kitchener's Memorial Plaque to go with those MGC pairs :lol:;)

No way would this reach the quarter million mark, I think. My guess is mid to high five figures.

Guest Ian Bowbrick
OOOOOH it gets better! The sale is the VC, three other medals ( not specified), two photographs of Major Cook, a portrait on porcelain and a letter from his brother Walter. A bargain then.

Aye

Malcolm

.........4 MGC pairs then :lol:

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Yeah, Ian, and I think I can chuck in Churchill's MIC and Kitchener's Memorial Plaque to go with those MGC pairs :lol:;)

No way would this reach the quarter million mark, I think. My guess is mid to high five figures.

And what is wrong with a Kitchener plaque - Paul Reed has held 2, I have held another and Teapots' Uncle Cedric has the scroll.

Seriously Phil I think you are nearer the right hammer price. Will be interesting to see how robust the market still is?

From the catalogue:

1) Victoria Cross, the reverse of the suspension bar inscribed ‘Captain John Cook, Bengal Staff Corps’, the reverse centre of the cross dated ‘2nd DECr. 1878’

2) India General Service 1854-94, 2 clasps, Umbeyla, North West Frontier (Lieut. J. Cook, 3rd Sikh Inftry.)

3) Afghanistan 1878-80, 3 clasps, Peiwar Kotal, Charasia, Kabul (Maj. J. Cook, V.C. 5th Goorkha)

4) Silver Plaque, 126 x 88 mm, inscribed with Sir Frederick Roberts’s Divisional Order announcing Cook’s death from wounds, hallmarked Edinburgh 1879, maker’s mark for William Mortimer, extremely fine

Estimate: £80,000-100,000

If I had the money (dream on) I would go for the other group being sold:

1) Victoria Cross, the reverse of the suspension bar inscribed ‘Lieut. Arthur Thomas Moore, 3rd Bombay Light Cavalry’, the reverse centre of the cross dated ‘Feby. 8, 1857’

2) Order of the Bath, C.B. (Military) breast badge, 18 carat gold and enamels, date letter indistinct, complete with gold ribbon buckle

3) India General Service 1854-94, 1 clasp, Persia (Lt. A. T. Moore, 3rd Lt. Cavy.)

4) Indian Mutiny 1857-59, 1 clasp, Central India (Lieut. A. T. Moore, 3rd Regt. Bombay Cavy.)

5) Coronation 1902, silver, unnamed as issued, together with a quantity of fine original documentation relating to Moore’s service in India, including several ‘Record of Officers’ Services’ completed by Moore and with various corrections and amendments, light contact marks to the medals, otherwise good very fine

Estimate: £80,000-100,000

Steve

Guest Ian Bowbrick
If you follow sales of VC's in recent years they all seem to go to the same Lord and he has very deep pockets !!

As well as financing the Tory party......................

maybe we could all chip in... or maybe i will go for it alone if you are not up for it.

dave

got a couple of repro cap badges that just mite swing the deal

mcfc1923