Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CEF - Bourley Wood Segregation Camp

tullybrone

Hi,

I am researching a great uncle who enlisted CEF 1918 - Pte 2022550 William James Fowler, born Harrington, Cumberland, England 1895. Emigrated Michel B. C. Canada July 1913. Served 72nd Battalion CEF (Seaforth Highlanders of Canada) 1918/1919.

I obtained his service record from Ottawa in 2009 (doing thorough research now as I have made contact with his grandchildren in Calgary after families lost touch nearly 60 years ago) and on his B103 it mentions his posting to 1st Reserve Battalion at Seaford on arrival at Birkenhead 16th August with 28 days "off command" at "Bourlay (sic) ".

I posted a query on CEFSG earlier this week and discovered that "Bourlay" was Bourley Wood Segregation Camp where newly arrived CEF personnel were posted for 28 days to prevent the spreading of disease.

There are several mentions of Bourley Wood Camp on the internet but can anyone help me with it's location?

Regards,

Steve Y

Edited by tullybrone

The camp was at Bourley Wood and Long Valley Aldershot the pointer on this map shows Long Valley near Bourley Road. A search in Google Maps under long valley finds the spot.

post-9885-0-11488300-1360333755_thumb.jp

Hi Centurion,

I did note mentions of a Bourley Camp at Aldershot on the internet but no mention, or location, of Bourley Wood camp - do you know if they are one and the same?

Steve.

As I said the segregation camp was at Bourley Wood and Long Valley (presumably normally referred to simply as Bourley Wood) The map I posted shows the location of Long Valley which is still on the map Bourley wood must have been right next door Bourley Wood and Long Valley are currently under consideration for the development of a mini town. The camp was mainly tented so its unlikely much if anything still remains.

Thanks for the clarification.

Steve Y

• 3 months later...

I suspect that what was known as Bourley Wood is the forested land to the right of Bourley Road if moving towards the top of the map. Slightly surprised at Long Valley being used as that was very much training land. There were other camps near by, for example at Tweseldown Racecourse a few minutes walk north of the likely site for this camp. Whilst the land contains clear evidence of military presence I think it would be stretching it to cite anything in particular as being related to this camp.

This area will not be impacted by The Urban Expansion however much of what was South Camp will be built on. Planning permission has been requested for phase one of the work.

Edited by Roger D

• 2 years later...

My dad's Uncle Austin was at Bourley Camp for a short time in 1918. He sent my granddad a letter on a long, folding "letter card" which was produced by John Drew Printers. I am attaching the pictures that were part of it (shrunk down to fit here as a posting). Feel free to contact me if you would like the full-sized pictures.

post-124249-0-32891200-1441568131_thumb.

post-124249-0-31336600-1441568132_thumb.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing.

Steve Y