Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Identification - Help Please

Guest Vicki9055

Guest Vicki9055

Hello

This is my very first post so I hope I am posting correctly and in the right place.

1272 RSM Charles Pryer 1st Battalion Norflok Regiment.

I would like some help to confirm that the attached medal index card and photo are the same person. (No service record) I have confirmed via Charles brother's service record and as recorded on the index card that he did make RSM but the photo show him as a Major. I cannot find any information on any promotion after WO1. Would his promotions have been recorded in the London Gazette even after the war?

I will be getting in touch with the Norfolk Regt museum in Norwich but I figured if I could identify the medals and find some way of confirming the promotions up to Major it would be highly beneficial to finding out more about his military service.

There is a small portion of the index card missing as I had to reduce it to make both images fit! Hope the resolution is OK!! Perhaps slightly too ambitious for a first post :-)

It reads:

"OC 1st Norfolk Regt Belfast fwds from nom roll of individuals entitled to the emblem ]7.2.20"

Any help anybody can give would be most appreciated!!

Many Thanks

Vicki

post-96753-0-01243500-1360323687_thumb.jpost-96753-0-38967500-1360323697_thumb.j

Vicki,

I suggest you spend some time looking through the on-line archives of the London Gazette. If it is the same man, you should find entries for his commission as well as a MM, MC, and a MID. By the way, the photo shows him as a captain (3 pips). Good luck!

All the best,

Gary

So we have a Military Cross, Military Medal, 14 Star plus bar, British War Medal, Victory, Coronation, LSGC and Meritorious Service Medal. Now that is a group to be proud of.

His Military Cross citation:

For conspicuous gallantry in action. When his company officers had become casualties, he led the company through heavy machine gun fire and reached his objective. He twice returned to Battalion Headquarters under heavy fire to report the situation.

http://www.london-ga...pplements/10194

He was commissioned as an officer in 1928:

War Office,

15th January, 1928.

REGULAR FORCES.

INFANTRY.

Norfolk R.~R.S.M. Charles Pryer, M.C., M.M., to be Qrmr., with the rank of Lt. 12th Jan. 1928.

Promoted to Captain in 1936:

INFANTRY.

R. Norfolk R.— Lt. (Qr.-Mr.) C. Pryer, M.C., M.M., to be Capt. (Qr.-Mr.). 12th Jan. 1936.

And Major:

INFANTRY.

The undermentioned Capts. (Qr.-Mrs.) to be Majs. (Qr.-Mrs.): —

R. Norfolk R.

C. Pryer, M.C., M.M. 12th Jan, 1940.

http://www.london-ga...supplements/770

Steve.

• Admin

As he served beyond 1921 his service record should be at the MOD

http://www.veterans-...cords/army.html (Historical disclosures)

Not sure if you are querying this but the other information simply means his CO forwarded a list of those entitled to the 'emblem' i.e. MiD and the card shows this was issued vide I(ssue ).V(oucher). 4S.S. dated 14.7.20. At the time the Bn was in Belfast.

A separate IV was issued for the Clasp and Roses for the 1914 Star (which would have been issued at a different time)

See the parent site the Long Long Trail (LLT) http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/themedals.htm and check out the links on the right for interpreting the card and the Gallantry Medals.

Ken

Obviously saw WW2 service too, so presumably his collection of medals must have been extremely impressive.

Guest Vicki9055

Wow guys

Thank you so much to all of you!! I had no idea he had had such a long and distinguished service!!

Thank You Kenf48 for pointing me in the right direction regarding the medals :w00t:

Big Thank you to stebie 917 for helping me with the links to the Gazette.....something which would have taken me hours if not days to find :thumbsup:

Wow Auchonvillerssomme....Thank you for the identification!

We are very proud of his younger brother Frank, who was awarded a DCM before losing his life as a POW in Mesopotamia in 1916.....but now we are almost bursting with pride!!!

Many Thanks to you all

Vicki :w00t: