Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Large Grave Somme Area

Terry Carter

Hello All

I have several small photographs that were taken by an officer of the 16th Royal Warwicks. Some are taken during July/August/September when the battalion was serving on the Somme. The photo below could possibly be a mass grave of British soldiers. A large pile of equipment and steel helmets by the side of a taped off area that could be a grave.

Would anyone like to pass any comments to what else it might be.

Thanks

Terry

post-4-1094151231.jpg

From one Terry to another,

Boy, I am sure the experts in photo interpretation will know, but I would use a SWAG (Systematic Wild A.. Guess) and agree that it might be a grave site. It could also be a "dump" from an Aid Post or CCS, or perhaps just salvage from a certain battle area that has already been "taped off" to indicate it has been cleared.

Good luck in your endeavors and thanks for the picture.

DrB

:rolleyes:

Terry.

I concur with Dr B. Any idea of the location of the photograph? The ridge in the background seems to look like the Thiepval Ridge or pretty similar?

Regards, Chris.

It's a very sad photograph whatever it is.

Very interesting though.

Just a thought.

Seems to be taped off in a very large area. If it IS a mass grave, it must be holding alot of bodies? That seems to make me think, that it is some area in need of some clearance in one shape or another. E.X.O.?

Regards, Chris.

Agree with Derek though, sad, all the same.

If you look carefully at Terrys picture there appear to be lots of sticks broken planks in the ground inside the taped area (Grave Markers?) but I need a larger image scan to work on.

It might also be a photo of the results of salvage work; the battlefield looks a little overgrown and not recently fought over. However, some of the material does look in fairly good condition, which also makes me think it isn't taken from bodies, unless it is just after an action.

The ground looks like the Somme or Arras, by the ly of the land.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Chris, probably not Thiepval Ridge. The 5th Div were in the Longueval area for the last three weeks of July, 1916. Then out at rest for August. Then the Div came back into the line at beginning of September at Falflemont Farm/Wedge Wood area followed by Morval in October.

Hope you do not mind me putting a few more of these photos up. All taken by the same officer.

Terry

Possibly this one could be somewhere similar to Caterpiller Valley or Chimpanzee Valley

post-4-1094200976.jpg

Terry

Many thanks for these photographs, are there anymore?

Photographs of the Somme at that time seem to be very rare, they provide an invaluable insight as to what it was like there.

Regards

Richard

Perhaps the previous picture was High Wood and this is the crater that nowadays is water filled.

Probably not however

I have a few more. But, I have packing to do. I am off to the Somme later today. going for three days.

And if Paul Reed gets to read this. I am packing my shorts and T-Shirt I reckon its gonna be a hot one!

Regards

Terry

post-4-1094205301.jpg

And if Paul Reed gets to read this. I am packing my shorts and T-Shirt I reckon its gonna be a hot one!

Thanks for posting some more great photos.

The forecast is good this week; won't see you around this week as I am up to my eyeballs in work. Have a good trip.

The first picture looks very much like a salvage dump - either equipment cleared or more likely as bodies were removed for burial. Could be early 1917 if its he Somme as this is when a lot og the 1/7/16 casualties were interred. Picture #2 of the full packs is neither of these. The troops left there gear at a specific dump wherever they were billeted prior to moving into the line. As these packs are clearly full, I'd say that the owners dropped tem at the side of the rd before moving up the line and the vehicles and people are incidental. I suspect that the men going through the packs are looking or personal effects of casualties.

Is that an 18lber g.p.? The limbers in the background aren't clear enough to tell.... just wondering.

If I am not mistaken the photo with the scorched trees is Delville Wood. I believe I have seen this same photo before in a book.

Is the crater the Lochnagar crater?

K.

Hi Kevin

There may be a similar picture in a book. But this particular photo is approx 1 x 2 inches in size and from a private collection never seen before. However, the 16th RWR did serve in and around Longueval and this may well have been a photo of Delville Wood taken at a later date. perhaps when the officer, who took the picture, retraced the battalions steps.

Terry