Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Webley cleaning equipment

RobL

So, for the SMLE you have the oil bottle and pull-through in the butt, readily accessible for cleaning - on the Webley pistol case there is a slot in the rear for the brass cleaning rod instead of a pull through, but was there 1) a specific type of oil bottle for Webley use and 2) anywhere in particular it was supposed to go? Ideally i'd like to know for an other rank/NCO issued with one, for example Lewis gunner, motorcycle despatch rider etc

Thanks, Rob

AFAIK there was no oil botle ever issued for the Webley.

I have checked the LoCs and nothing is mentioned under any of the paragraphs introducing or extending the use of the various pistol cleaning rods.

Regards

TonyE

Rob,

have a look at 370749169590 on ebay it may be of interest to you. Although it isn't marked as being issued but possibly a private item

Regards

Dave

I saw this thread without looking at the ebay link. I photographed an item in my collection that I assumed to be a Webley cleaning kit. Much to my astonishment I go to look up eBay and mine is almost identical - and more complete :)

The reason I believe it might not be private purchase is that mine has an Irish 1920s Free State Army stamp on the outside. Given that most of the Free State field gear was ex-British Army issue I wonder about it being a Private Purchase item...

Here's mine...

post-42233-0-81566700-1360429130_thumb.j