Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Riding Museums - WWI commemorations

Doctord84

Am currently researching / collecting material for a display on the East Riding Yeomanry to go up at the Treasure House in Beverley, East Yorks (September-October 2014). Sewerby Hall Museum near Bridlington is doing a display this Easter on the impact of the war on the Lloyd Greame family who owned the Hall (a couple of them were in the East Yorks. Regiment) and on their estate workers (who served in a wide variety of units). There are also likely to be displays on some aspect of the war at our other museum sites - Beverley Guildhall, Skidby Windmill and Goole Museum. If members are interested, I'll post more precise details (dates etc) as I get them.

If we get some grant funding from the Arts Council (decision end of this month I think), then we also get to do a publication and more educational activities to support the displays. Should be an interesting and fulfilling project hopefully.

Dave

• 4 months later...

Hi Dave,

Just read your post, most interesting. I've been researching a great uncle and his brother (although his brother is a tad difficult to discover anything on), both served in the East Yorks Regiment and I know one definately enlisted at the Beverly Barracks (pretty sure his brother would have done as well). Being a Bridlington lad living in Lincoln, I'll make sure I go up to Sewerby Hall or a look at their display. Went to Galliopli last year and am currently tryig to put together a piece on 5 brave souls who also served in the East Yorks and perished over there.

Regards

Garry

Am currently researching / collecting material for a display on the East Riding Yeomanry to go up at the Treasure House in Beverley, East Yorks (September-October 2014). Sewerby Hall Museum near Bridlington is doing a display this Easter on the impact of the war on the Lloyd Greame family who owned the Hall (a couple of them were in the East Yorks. Regiment) and on their estate workers (who served in a wide variety of units). There are also likely to be displays on some aspect of the war at our other museum sites - Beverley Guildhall, Skidby Windmill and Goole Museum. If members are interested, I'll post more precise details (dates etc) as I get them.

Dave

I researched Philip Lloyd-Greame as he was an officer in the 21st KRRC - you've probably found that thread?

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=151966&st=200#entry1541893

Liz

Thanks both!

The Sewerby display runs until the 1st September - we have a shorter season this year due to a big Lottery funded redevelopment.

Dave

• 4 months later...

An update on the East Riding Yeomanry display at the Treasure House, now entitled "Cavalry, camels and camaraderie: the East Riding Yeomanry in the Great War"

The main exhibition will run from about 12th July to 19th September. An introductory panel will give an outline of the Palestine campaign and ERY's involvement in it. Then 25 photographs from the permanent collection, with detailed labels will look at different aspects of the campaign - terrain, supply etc, roughly in chronological order. Supplemented by about 5 cases of artefacts, documents and photographs, both our own and from the collecting campaign I've been doing. Plus a number of flip books with more photos and information for those with a more in depth interest. There will be an accompanying lecture at some point (+ one by me at Sewerby Hall in July) and some children's activities. Alongside this we'll be selling a commemorative booklet with mini biographies and photos of a selected 100 men from the regiment. Happily the Arts Council funding came through, which has made this all possible.

A "popup" version of the display will tour around East Riding Libraries during the summer and a mini version will continue at the Treasure House until the end of 2014.

I've pretty much got all the material I need, but if anyone has an appropriate rifle and sword that they could lend (or knows where I might get them) that would be useful. Doesn't have to be ERY related, just the right types. Transport budget is limited, so has to be somewhere fairly close to East Yorks. to make it practical for us to collect. We will insure items of course and keep them secure.

many thanks

David

Thanks for the update, David,

I'm looking forward to the display.