Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

It's Gone - Temporary Closure of The AIF Project Web Site

WhiteStarLine

My standard web site to look up an Australian soldier, Ross Mallett's wonderful 'The AIF Project' is temporarily shutdown. I'm aware of the many alternatives but this is the one I first turn to. Anyone know any plans or updates?

Bill

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.aif.adfa.edu.au/search

HTTP Status 503 -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

description The requested service () is not currently available.

Apache Tomcat/4.1.12-LE-jdk14

Navigating to the home page tells me: "The AIF database is closed for public access pending an upgrade and expansion."

Thanks Rod, but it is the search facility I use. That link is the home page with interesting links in itself, but it is the search database that has gone.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill

The database isn't actually run by Ross.

I've just emailed the 'man behind it' - and I'll let you know if I find anything out!

Cheers, Frev

Hi again Bill

Sad to say that in the words of 'the man', that "the downtime is likely to be longer rather than shorter" - so I'm afraid we're going to have to get used to being without such a great tool.....for a while...!

Many's the time where a certain way of searching on the AIF Database has made short work of finding a particular soldier (usually without a known name!) far quicker than trawling endless other records.....I for one will miss it :(

Cheers, Frev

OK, thanks for checking Frev.