Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need some advice on puttees

CGreene

Hello, new here and on a mission, I'm hoping you all won't mind lending a hand:

I'm with the Boy Scouts in Virginia, and it's our council's 100th anniversary this year. The council's scout museum has pulled together four complete 100-yr-old uniforms, and they've put me in charge of finding some Scouts who will fit into them so they can have them present at a few functions throughout the year.

As you may know, the BSA was formed in 1911, and the first BSA uniforms were basically army surplus, then as things progressed they started producing their own through licensees. Here is a photo:

wschm_H2-6.7.1.jpg

The only item the museum curator didn't have for me were puttees. He went out and bought some khaki-colored fabric and made some ~6-ft strips, but I've found the fabric is too stiff (it's almost like ripstop) and the strips are too wide--the problem is that when I wrap the leg, the "puttees" he made won't form-fit, and on the back side of the leg they bellow out.

I did a little Googling to find out what the originals were made of (wool serge) and hit up Jo-Anns and Hancock fabric stores, but they don't have any plain wool, just patterned stuff for suits.

I did find a 50/50 wool/poly blend the thickness of flannel that had some give to it, so I got enough to make a test puttee. It's better, but I still have an issue on the back side of the leg and the puttee not forming against, no matter how tight I pull. I feel this is due either to the fabric, the dimensions of the puttee I've made, or my lack of practice.

So, I wondered:

Am I having my form-fit issue due more likely to the fabric choice, or to my lack of practice?

There are thicker felt and fleece options, would that perhaps be better?

What are the dimensions of puttees? I know ~9 ft long, but how wide?

I really appreciate any expert advice on this matter. The first function these are to be worn is Feb 21.

The only item the museum curator didn't have for me were puttees. He went out and bought some khaki-colored fabric and made some ~6-ft strips, but I've found the fabric is too stiff (it's almost like ripstop) and the strips are too wide--the problem is that when I wrap the leg, the "puttees" he made won't form-fit, and on the back side of the leg they bellow out.

Why not just buy some of the many ready-made repros of good quality that are already available? Just one example below:

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/ww1-long-putties-product,12274,1

I would have thought you would be better going for custom made reproduction puttees as anything less could look a bit of a failure alongside the authentic uniforms you want them for. Reproductions are available from a number of suppliers such as Lawrence Ordnance, Australia. Soldier of Fortune and quite possibly this forums own Taff of Khaki Devils. They do need to be wool serge & 9' long to be right. There are various opinions about how best to break them in ranging from putting them on damp to just wearing them for hours on end. Hope this helps.

Dave

Really, I would prefer to buy repros. But I don't think it's a possibility. The curator was budgeted $1,000 to have complete repros made so that the originals wouldn't be in danger of damage, but he declined to do it (he thinks they're too complicated for a tailor to make). So, I don't think I'll have any luck getting $100 for 4 sets of puttees. I'm pursuing it, but I can't bank on it.

There is a US supplier that you could contact. They have a fairly good reputation and are careful with their reproductions, doing their best to be authentic. Their name is "What Price Glory" and they provide both other ranks (enlisted men) pattern at $16 per pair and also officer's pattern, both copied from the originals that were suppled by the famous Fox Bros&Co Mill in Somerset, England, which still exists:

1. http://reenactor-sup...rch=Yes&sppp=75

2. http://www.foxflannel.com/

Thanks for that link Frogsmile, the least expensive I had seen so far were Schipperfabrik.

Still would appreciate it if anyone could tell me how wide their puttees are.

US army issued puttees (original) show up all the time on eBay and often go very cheaply.

I just measured four different sets I have here and they varied between 3 1/2 inches and 4 1/2 inches wide. The wider ones appear to be higher quality manufacture (perhaps private purchase/officers? although they came with an enlisted man's uniform), the others (3 of 4 pairs) are were all just over 3 1/2 inches.

Chris

I have to say all reproduction ones i've tried did not fill anywhere near as good as the real deal, and don't look right either (fortunately have a pair of original full length foxes now). It may be worth trying to acquire a pair where three 'short' puttees have been stitched together to make one 9 foot long one

Thanks for that link Frogsmile, the least expensive I had seen so far were Schipperfabrik.

Still would appreciate it if anyone could tell me how wide their puttees are.

As long as the puttees are made of the correct woollen flannel you need not get originals and if you all want to look the same it would be better to get repros (and usually cheaper too). I only ever wore the short puttees (albeit for over 10-years) and never the long ones, but I can say that you should bear in mind that well used puttees will always have shrunk a little when first laundered and after some usage they also take on a curve from where you have wound them constantly. A key part is to make sure that the V where the tape is attached is fitted so that it is on the outside and facing the rear. You then wind the puttees securing tape around a few times, taking care to ensure that the last section is turned around the point of the V and the end tucked out of sight.

Thanks very much for all the input. If I had financial control I'd go repro's all the way, but that's not to be. My biggest concern was the poor quality of the wrappings I was given, and I have been given the OK to buy a fabric (wool/poly) that wraps better (flat against the leg) than what I started with.

With your help on the width and tape points, I'll be able to get something that might not fool (or impress) a WWI enthusiast, but will look good to Boy Scouts. I really appreciate the advice and helpfulness.

I'll post photos for you once I have some.

Thanks very much for all the input. If I had financial control I'd go repro's all the way, but that's not to be. My biggest concern was the poor quality of the wrappings I was given, and I have been given the OK to buy a fabric (wool/poly) that wraps better (flat against the leg) than what I started with.

With your help on the width and tape points, I'll be able to get something that might not fool (or impress) a WWI enthusiast, but will look good to Boy Scouts. I really appreciate the advice and helpfulness.

I'll post photos for you once I have some.

My advice is to steer well clear of wool/poly. You will not get a better effect than with the proper wool flannel.

Had a look on the Soldier of Fortune web site and noticed these: http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/ww1-british-putties-1-st-run-product,11314,1

I can't think how else you could create any sort of authentic puttee at a much cheaper price?

David

Hard to be sure if any of the scouts in the picture have puttees on- some look to have leggings or high gaitters. Regards, Paul.

Every photo is different, leading me to believe that BSA didn't manufacture/license their own. Some boys have leather, some wear stockings, some have puttees. The guy in charge wants them in puttees.

Here's a photo with a better showing of boys with puttees rather than anything else, but you notice the one older boy in the middle has leather (cavalry?) rather than wool. (click to enlarge)

1913_scouts_zps7596dde0.png

Every photo is different, leading me to believe that BSA didn't manufacture/license their own. Some boys have leather, some wear stockings, some have puttees. The guy in charge wants them in puttees.

Here's a photo with a better showing of boys with puttees rather than anything else, but you notice the one older boy in the middle has leather (cavalry?) rather than wool. (click to enlarge)

The leather version are "Stohwasser" (patented) gaiters.

CGreene.

I trust your boys will all be sporting the greased down, centre parted hair style that was so very popular at the time! :thumbsup:

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

CGreene.

I trust your boys will all be sporting the greased down, centre parted hair style that was so very popular at the time! :thumbsup:

Dave

Haha! I thought about it, but they had their hats on the whole time, and I didn't want any grease wrecking the hats.

Because of the season, there was no non-patterned wool serge available, so I had to go with wool/poly. The result isn't perfect, but we're talking about a one-night event for a crowd with no expertise. They did their job well and looked great.

As it turned out, one boy's father used to do some WWI re-enacting, so he had authentic puttees.

P2210136_edit_zps9e80af02.jpg

P2210140_edit_zpsb0cc4154.jpg

Great job! I trust that lad with the authentic puttees and boots gets issued with one of the 'Attention to Detail' badges - or has he already got it amongst the armful of others he has!! :thumbsup: