Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pozieres

Guest bonza

September 3 1916 is reported as the closure date of the Battle of Poziers. By that date the fighting had progressed to the Moocow Farm area. Could anyone explain the significance of the September 3 date, please.

Lucy

Don't understand the 3rd September date (though I know it is listed as such on this site). Pozieres fell at the end of July but the battle for Pozieres Ridge is dated as ending on 13th September (starting 23rd July). Fighting for Mouquet Farm started on 6th August but it fell on 26th September.

The 13th Australian Brigade fought their last fight at Mouquet Farm on the 3/4th September 1916. On the 4th I believe they were then relieved by the Canadians.

The Pozieres windmill site had been captured in early August and since that time efforts had been made to capture Mouquet Farm, which was eventually accomplished by the Canadians.

On a personal note the 3rd of September 1916 was a very costly day for my local area Fremantle. 17 Fremantle soldiers of the 51st Battalion were killed at Mouquet Farm. It was one of the worst days of the war for Fremantle.

Regards

Andrew

Thanks folks,

Malcolm, please don't keep us in suspense. What is the next Battle?

I have cheated and checked the long long trail entry. Guillemont takes over from Poziers. Although the llt entry mentions the unfinished work at Mouquet Farm, which Andrew illustrates vividly, I suspect the Committee have moved on to Guillemont, which unlike Poziers & Moocow Farm, is hardly a household name down here.

Lucy

I thought Poziéres was mostly fought by the Australians?

-Doughboy

No, but probably their part of it was nastier!!

Lucy, yes Guillemont is next battle on the list Sept 3 - 6, with 5th,7th,16th, 20th,24th,55th, Divisions.

Aye

Malcolm

Important not to forget the British troops who fought at Pozieres. 112th Brigade fighting as part of 34th Division, on July 15th lost over a 1000 casualties assaulting Pozieres. They came via Contalmaison Wood and suffered heavily coming up the ridge. You get a great view of their line of assault standing at the back of Tommies' Bar.

Battalions in their first set piece assault were - 8th East Lancs, 6th Beds 11th Royal Warwicks and 10th LNL.

Regards

Stephen