Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed to identify a medal ribbon on a photo

mark1965

Hi,

I have an old postcard photo - been in the family ages and have no idea what relationship he has to me.

I have attached a couple of scans - I know he is CSM Hemming 3/8 Worcesters and he is wearing a medal ribbon - but cannot identify it - can anyone help? Before I started spending money on records etc.

Many Thanks, Mark

CSM Hemming.pdf

CSM Hemming rev.pdf

There's just one DCM recipient with the surname of Hemming (Yeomanry) listed on Ancestry. There's also a couple of Hemming(s). May be worth checking the initials to see if they match your man (if you know them)... I suppose he couldv'e got a DCM with another regiment before transfering to the Worcesters. A check of their MIC's may shown this(?)

My money's still on QSA :)

Neil

Mark,

I'm no expert but the only probability I can see that would fit for a post 6/3/1916 photo is:

Special Reserve Long Service and Good Conduct

There are 45 Hemmings in the Worcs with Medal Cards but doesn't look like 3/8 Worcs served overseas.

Any first name or initial??

Putting the image in the post would give it more prominence.

TEW

Hi,

Do you think he looks a bit young for a QSA - also the ribbon looks possibly a bit too dark for QSA - what about a TD? although the middle bar looks a bit wider than the TD ribbon!

Hi

How about CSM 15 Arthur Hemming 8th Worc. Enlisted 1.4.08 disch. 31.3.16- termination of engagement. MIC on Ancestry says sick but pension records state otherwise. 3/8th Worc, His mother was Annie, sister Nellie.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Hi - yes the LS&GC looks a contender but he must've been very young to get 15 years service in - thanks for the tip re image but can you tell me how to do it - cannot find any option to do it.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark

He was born 1880 Blockley, Worscestershire. Previous service. Was a Gardener.

Barry

No medals shown on Service Records

Edited by The Inspector

<snip> ... thanks for the tip re image but can you tell me how to do it - cannot find any option to do it.

Thanks, Mark

Here you go ...

post-20192-0-26586600-1359770631_thumb.j & close up - post-20192-0-92174200-1359770644_thumb.j

Be wary about interpreting the ribbon colours by their apparent shade differences - search for orthochromatic film here on the Forum. There's an extensive topic on distortion of tones in medal ribbons due to orthochromatic film stock with lots of pics - the effect is remarkable.

Cheers,

Mark (different one)

Two candidates to my view: a DCM or a Territorial Force Efficiency Medal. Not a TD; officers only.

territorial_force_efficiency_medal_obverse.jpg

Hi

OK so I am going for Arthur Hemming, Regimental No.15, Sergeant latterly Company Sergeant Major. He has 2 Medal Index Cards so I will let you know what the medal ribbon is - my money is on either a 'mention in despatches' or a Territorial Force Efficiency Medal - more likely - so thanks for everyone's input - I enjoyed it.

Regards, Mark

It cannot be a Mention in Dispatches as this was a laurel leaf device - in two sizes, one for wear on the riband of the InterAllied Victory Medal (stitched on - the one with holes) one for wear on the full size medal ribbon, secured by prongs. (Picture from a web search)

st_MIDS.JPG

Assuming he is CSM 15 Arthur Hemming 8th Worc, He had SWB No. 185782 issued by Territorial Force Record Office Warwick. Age 35 yrs 9 mths so born June 1880.

Enlisted in Evesham. Maybe the AH who died in Evesham 1947 (23 Montefort St.) assuming he stuck with Worcestershire but there are other possibilites as well.

As he was discharged 31/3/16 and the photo is dated 6/3/16 surely he knew he was up for discharge and got a last uniformed shot of himself?

Had previous service before enlisting in 1908, 2nd VB Worcs from 12/10/1902 - 31/3/08 then straight into 8th Worcs. Promoted acting CSM 3rd Line 31/7/1915.

Military History Sheet gives - HOME 11/4/08-31/3/16.

Only MIC I can find is the one for SWB as no service overseas. Statement of services gives Discharge in consequence of - 'termination of engagement'.

TEW

Forgot the obvious-- his service with 8th Worcs was exactly 8 years, last 8 months with 3/8 Worcs.

If it helps determine who he is in relation to you. His sister Nellie married Howard Russell Wells 2nd Q 1909 in Evesham, they had a daughter Kathleen in 1912.

His pension record also mentions an uncle --not very clear but it looks like Richard Vernay of Beaumont St, Oxford. Can't match up his mother as being a Vernay by birth nor can I find his father who was a publican in 1881. 1881 - 1901 censuses his mother is married but no father present.

AH's address at enlistment (1908) 21 King's Rd, Evesham

Mother & Sister's on pension record, 3 Grove Villas, Hampton Rd. (Middlesex??)

AH on 1911, 39 King's Rd, Evesham, boarder

1901 All 3, 'The Jungle, Church Hill, Northfield, Worcs.

1891 All 3, High Street, (Evesham?) All Saints, Worcs

1881 All 3, St Lawrence Evesham

Edited by TEW