Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

134th Royal Field Artilery

ferret1981

I am researching a familiy relative and have gone as far as I can with all the usual sources which can be accessed. The soldier in question was 74672 GNR (A/BMBR) Francis R Houchin who earned the DCM. However I have no futher information relating to the location or actual date of where this award was earned. I have the London Gazette info which was on the 4/3/1918 As I seemed to have hit a brick wall now I have been told to look up the unit war diaries now. Any look-ups or help with relevant sources and books where I will be able to look up further information would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I would have suggested that on the basis of the citation, also search for the casualties in 32nd Brigade - i see 2 dead to 134th Bty on 1st Nov 1917 for example although no officer deaths as far as I can see in 134thBty .. but a 2Lt killed in 27th Bty 5/11/1917..... I think they were in the tail end of Passchendale battles.. in foul conditions.. the citations sounds rather like that period of operations .. lots of gas and hard to keep the guns firing. someone may have the diary however.. that might be in the right time frame. Nothing specific in Farndales History..

74672 Gnr. (A./Bombr.) F. R. Houchin, R.F.A. (Crewe).

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. When a gas shell wrecked the officers' dug-out and all the occupants be- came casualties, he showed great coolness and determination as one of the rescue party, working under heavy fire and in spite of gas fumes. On the following morning, thovigh suffering from gas, he manned a gun with the only other man available and fired a bombardment programme made out for the whole battery. His splendid courage and determination enabled the battery to remain in action and carry out its task during a most important period of the operations.

Thank you for your help. I now have something else to look up and research. I was getting frustrated because of the surname I just kept getting gravestone locations.

If that is for DCM, there was a flurry of fighting in October as well [more casualties listed to Brigade ... a Lt I seem to remember], so that may be narrowing it down. Maybe supporting attacks around Poelcapelle?