Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What do these abbreviations mean?

tobyboy

I have two army record cards for my great uncle, Alfred Bowlting/Boulting, who was described on the birth certificate for his daughter in December 1915 as being a Lance Corporal in the 3rd Welsh Regiment (39600).

One record says he received Victory and British Medals.

Another record refers to his discharge.

Can anyone tell me what these abbreviations mean:

Corp: Welsh.R. Dep. Cl.P

Cause of Discharge: A.C.1.1039. Para 2 Bl.

Action taken: List J.513/1

Any advice appreciated.

Tobyboy

The "Corp" line means he was transferred from the Welsh Regiment depot to Class P Reserve. This was a class of men

- ‘whose services are deemed to be temporarily of more value to the country in civil life rather than in the Army’

- and who were not lower than medical grade C iii

- and as a result of having served in the army would, if discharged, be eligible for a pension on the grounds of disability or length of service.

• Admin

The second card refers to the award of a Silver War Badge (if I may presume Chris! http://1914-1918.net/research/index.php/find-your-soldier/silver-war-badge-records/)

These records are on Ancestry and are useful as they give such information as enlistment date and reason for discharge.

If you have access to Ancestry the link is

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=2456&iid=wo329_3092-00115&fn=Alfred&ln=Boulting&st=r&ssrc=&pid=412662

You will see J513L is the page or roll number.

A minor point it's ACI, which stands for Army Council Instruction, not AC1 and 2 B (1) which is the paragraph that refers to the award of the badge

Ken

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice and for taking the time and trouble to respond.

It's much appreciated and will help me in my family research and ascertaining the role played by this particular relative in the Great War..

• 1 year later...
I now have two very brief army records for my uncles, who both served in the Royal Artillery, and I wonder what the abbreviations mean.
Edward George Inker, army number 825804, attestation 1932. Then it shows a column headed transfer to other corps or cause of becoming non-effective and record of re-enlistment if any - followed by 14-3-33 Para 199 (11) TAR

Walter Henry Inker, army number 934215 and underneath it states (10296022) of No 485 RMG. Attestation 1939. Then it shows a column headed transfer to other corps or cause of becoming non-effective and record of re-enlistment if any - followed by PARA 800 (XV1) K REGS 23/5/41?
I also have a wedding photo for George Inker from 1940 and he is wearing the uniform of a lance corporal (one arm stripe) plus webbing belt and unusually a chain which goes from his second button down into his top pocket (for a whistle or watch?). Did he serve in the military police? Or air raid warden or special police?

Can anyone help?

Hi Tobyboy,

Are you aware you could get the service records of your relatives who enlisted in the 1930's from the Ministry of Defence on payment of £30.

You may want to post on WW2 Talk - similar to GWF but for WW2.

Regards

Steve Y