Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What is this? Object at Hill 60

RobL

a5-11.jpg

Spotted this spherical object at Hill 60 on Friday - anyone know what it is? Saw a similar item at the Sanctuary Wood Museum... possibly a sea mine or something maritime related? Struggling to see the Hill 60 link

It is a sea-mine, Rob. For many years it used to stand outside the Hill 60 Museum across the road (now demolished). When the museum closed, this relic was left behind and someone rolled it down in to the shallow 1915 craters by the side of the road, where it can still be seen.

Tom

I remember sea mines at the Cloth Hall Museum and at Sanctuary Wood. I'm looking at a photo of one in "Before Endeavours Fade" right now, taken more than 35 years ago now, so in much better condition as you might expect.

Ahah! Thanks for the replies. It did stump me as I was assuming it was something relevant to the campaign there

it is a British sea mine and it was already near the Sanctuary Wood or Hill 60 museum in the nineteenthirties

Cnock

I presume they were used to 'dismantle' the concrete fortifications that littered the landscape after the war. Although there were plenty of munitions lying around, were the sea mines likely to have a more devastating effect on the dugouts, etc?

No, the cases were complete and in fair condition as I recall them; it is rust, not explosion, that has taken it's toll and reduced them to the condition in Rob's photo.

Perhaps they were included in the museums as a general war-related artefact, or were they used as collection boxes ? I don't recall, but it was quite common in seaside towns to see sea mine casings set up as charity collection boxes. So common in fact, that if I saw one being used for the purpose in or around Ypres it would have been unremarkable enough to have made little impression on my memory.

Reason I asked about the size was to confirm that it is a sea mine. This has been discussed on the forum before and from memory they re nothing to do with WW1 directly. They were collection boxes for some charitable concern just as they used to be used in Britain

I think that during my schooldays there was once one in Sale which is far from a maritime community (if you don't count the Bridgewater Canal). Long long gone but I think it got moved to one of the parks (possibly Walton Road) for a time.

I remember from my travels aroud this country with family and reenactment that I have actually seen a few of these sea mine collection boxes in different places... don't ask me where though as I can't remember :s

When I lived in Dover in about 1960 there was one on the seafront. It was still there the last time I was in Dover, which must be six or seven years ago.

they were not used as collection boxes, purely as eye catchers.

Thousands of this type of British sea mine were washed ashore during WW at the Belgian coast.

Cnock

they were not used as collection boxes, purely as eye catchers.

Thousands of this type of British sea mine were washed ashore during WW at the Belgian coast.

Cnock

Thousands?

006rsm.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

British sea mine at Hill 62 in 1939

already in 1914 eye-witness said that the Belgian coast was littered with British mines,

the Germans piled them up and send them to Germany, or used them for ornament at their coastal batteries, cemeteries, etc.

shortly after WWI they still kep washing ashore

Cnock

• 2 weeks later...

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/708/kn1o.jpg/]kn1o.jpg[/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

In the Interbellum there were so many British MKIII mines left on the beaches that they were used as decoration in the coastal area

Cnock

I presume they were used to 'dismantle' the concrete fortifications that littered the landscape after the war. Although there were plenty of munitions lying around, were the sea mines likely to have a more devastating effect on the dugouts, etc?

I have also read this but without source that sea mines were used to blow up the re-inforced concrete bunkers in the 50's & 60's.

The example at Hill 60 is however the remains most probably from the former Hill 60 museum.

Hi Chris,

before WWII there were several small museums in the area

no doubt it is from one of those

cheers,

Eddy