Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Doncaster during the Great War

Guest Symeon

Hi all.

Great to be accepted as a member of this forum. I am an amateur historian in Doncaster. Until the last 12 months I ashamedly admit to having no interest in the two world Wars. But, that was until I learned that my great Grandad fought in the KOYLI during WW1. I am trying to find out some more information on the regiment, particularly as it relates to Doncaster. I want to know how the War effected Doncaster as a town. I want to try and form a mental picture of what the men went through.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Best wishes

Symeon Waller.

Hi and Welcome to the Forum.

If he was a Territorial KOYLI the Saturday Soldiers By Malcolm Johnson is a good book.

What details do you have on your grandad

Ady

Welcome to the GWF Symeon.

Have you tried entering Doncaster into the Search box near the top right of this page?

King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry Museum Collection

Doncaster Museum & Art Gallery,

Chequer Road,

Doncaster,

DN1 2AE

Tel: 01302 734293

If you have not already done so, the above may help. Local newspapers also will give a flavour.

Regards

Edwin

I undertook a lot of research in Doncaster 20 years ago when I researched the Hatfield and Hatfield Woodhouse Memorial, the newspaper archive which was located in the main library was an excellent resource. Personally I didn't find the museum very (at all) helpful but hopefully things have changed.