Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Death Memorial

ArmyOfficer

Found this on the wall of the old church in the center of Garmisch. Beautiful place...I had a beer to young Herr Reisenger that evening. We all too often don't see the German side of the Somme...

post-19-1094064524.jpg

My son just came home from Garmisch, he was attending meetings for the NDU as part of his duties in Washington. Beautiful site from the photos we saw.

Ralph

We've had several touring holidays in southern Germany, which have been amongst the most enjoyable we've ever taken. The scenery is absolutely breathtaking, the people some of the friendliest we've met, and the atmosphere in rural areas, where off in the distance there is invariably the sound of bells tinkling as cows graze on alpine pasture, idyllic. Thanks for posting your memorial photo, ArmyOfficer, both for the bringing back some excellent memories of our trips to Germany and of course the reminder that the death of loved ones is always keenly felt by those left behind regardless of nationality, ideals, and so on.

Gary

Well, I just got back last week from 4 days in Garmisch (third time) and 4 days in Austria (Tirol). A great vacation and hopefully will tack on a three year tour in Garmisch in the Marshall Center to this current tour.

As an aside, I'd recommend the Tirol to anyone for a vacation. If Fieberbrunn, Austria had a "Shell Hole" I would never leave.

:D

Does this bring back any memories Paul?

God yes what a beautiful place, caught no fish though. The cable car to Zugspitze was private a long time ago, in the 50's owned by 2 brothers, 1 was crazy, sabotaged it, people died.