Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Could someone help with uniform ID please.

jess5athome

Hello, could someone with a lot more expertise than me ( I have none at all ) please advise me as to the identification of this uniform, all I know is that it is from the Great War.

Many thanks in anticipation of your kind replys

Frank.post-96328-0-22823100-1359317334_thumb.j

Obviously went to the same hairdressers as Jedward! A driver (horses) of some kind? He appears to have spurs and reinforced breeches

Hi old sweats, many thanks for that. Its a bit of a dissapointment realy, I was hoping for a different answer. The person who I was hoping it was joined the 3/5 KOYLI in 1915 and then went on to serve in the 41st Batt Machine Gun Corps.

Many thanks,

Frank.

Ps, Like the Jedward bit tho`

Hi, Centurion sorry about the "old sweats" bit, I`ve not got used to the site yet.

Gary I see your point but I have seen pictures with members of the MGC and some of those had the same type of uniform complete with the white lanyard?

Ah well, onwards and upwards.

Frank.

He is a post war soldier - the hair style more reminiscent of 1930s/1940s and the lanyard has moved across to the right shoulder which it did not do until the 1920s/1930s. The tunic is correctly buttoned so the photo has not been flipped.

Steve.

Hello stebie 9173, thanks for your reply, the hair style is a family curse, it was like that for generations and is still the same today unfortunately.

The person who I hoped it was served in the 41st MGC and was demobilized in 1919, I have a photograph from the internet of members of the 41st battalion taken in 1920 and some of the men have the lanyards on the same side ( RH), can I assume that this is not a member of the 41st Battalion MGC.

Kind regards,

Frank.

My feeling is to agree with Steve: looks a very post-GW haircut to me.

Good morning Steven, Putting my obvious disapointment that it is not an ancestor who was awarded the Military Medal with the MGC during the Great War aside, There is another possibility that it could be a relative who was with the Royal Artillary (India command) during the second world war do you think in all probability it could be him?.

Any thoughts always appreciated,

Frank

I'd think so. He wears an outfit that pre-WW2 artillery (horse-drawn) would wear, so I see no reason to say it's not him. That's not to say it IS him (if you see what I mean), but it definitely might be.

I have a feeling that I read somewhere that the old WW1 style tunic was used in India longer than elsewhere the WW2 style battle dress blouse not taking over until Japan's entry into the war accelerated things in India a bit

Many thanks to you all, I think that with what has been said I can assume it is my wifes Grandfather on her mothers side,

A.E SISSON 1057738 - SGT, RA (INDIA COMMAND).

I will now ( with a bit of luck) do a search on his millitary life.

My very best regards to you always,

Frank.

It is not impossible that he is MGC. That Corps did not disband until 1922 and there was a cavalry branch that wore the mounted dress seen in your photo. The RA did indeed move their lanyard to the opposite shoulder in the 1920s, but I do not think that is necessarily a show stopper that prevents the man shown from being a member of the MGC, especially as there is photographic evidence that the 41st Batt MGC wore their lanyards on that shoulder.

The 41st Batt were an infantry branch unit, but the mounted dress could also relate to him being part of the battalion transport section, which for MGC units was quite substantial in order to carry 2nd Line ammunition.

Hello all, Gavin, many thanks for the link to the photo, I see what you mean regarding dating.

Frogsmile, Thankyou so much for that information, it throws everything up in the air for me again (but in a nice way) as we were hoping it was a member of the Machine Gun Corps. My wifes Grandfather was a member of the 41st batt MGC,

William Isles Ridsdal(e) 67631 and was awarded the Military Medal, we are desperately trying to find a photograph of him as no one in the entire family knows what he looked like, the only other family member we know of in the military was in the Royal Artillery (my wifes other Grandfather) but he was born in 1905 so he is out of the mix regarding the Great War, this is the only photograph we have found of a member of the armed forces and need to know which one he is before going any further.

Many thanks for your help and as always my very best regards,

Frank.

• 1 month later...

Hi, after looking around the internet and looking at a later post regarding a uniform on here I am now of the opinion that it is the uniform of a Driver in the Royal Artillary.

Many thanks.

Frank.