Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VC Hero Remains Found

Seadog

Just a wild guess but I would be surprised if the two reporters on the Sunday Times got the story wrong and no remains exist although of course this is a possibility. I wonder whether remains have been found and have not been retrieved by the CWGC as would be normal and any attempt at positive identification is to be undertaken without the somewhat dubious input of the MOD. Just a guess as I say and I wonder what the accepted procedure is should shall we say the family or the finder(s) take custodianship of such remains and undertake the identification themselves in other words just who do such remains actually belong to and is there a legal responsibility for such remains to be handed to the CWGC?..

Norman

Anyone finding human remains would surely have an obligation to report the fact to the police in the first instance. France has clear legal procedures that have been discussed before.

Keith

Whilst only a bit more hearsay, i have heard from a friend near Lens in France who says that last year a body (of a soldier) was discovered in the fields vicinity of Hill 70, and that the french police were in attendance.

Chris

I know Keith (27) they have an obligation but what happens after?, it is usual to then inform the CWGC in the case of British remains who then inform the MOD who then sit on the case (s) for up to 5 years. Let me pose an hypothetical case, remains found in France on private land and the find includes definite evidence of identification, after the Police have cleared the remains as not being recent what then is to stop the relatives of the fallen from undertaking whatever steps are needed to provide conclusive proof of identity following which the remains can be interred in a private grave plot without any input from the MOD who as is evident are unable to undertake ratification of identity in an acceptable period of time. Does French law require such remains to be handed over to the CWGC, as I say just hypothetical.

Thanks for the info Chris, any idea what nationality?

Norman

Somewhere in the earlier threads it was quite clear that remains once reported would be dealt with by the designated legal authorities. However, I am no expert on French legal procedures. Until we have some definiute information from a trustworthy source I have to remain sceptical. I'll be only too pleased obviously if found remains can be confidently identified, but the total absence of a single hard fact remains strange to say the least.

Keith

Thanks Keith, I would dearly like to see this scenario tested in court after all what makes the MOD the sole arbiter to decide both the ID of the fallen and to instruct the CWGC to bury the remains?. Perhaps this would not be a problem if the MOD were undertaking their responsibilities in an acceptable manner but sadly the evidence is to the contrary. I reiterate that this scenario will only occur when there is incontrovertible evidence of the identity of the individual concerned.

Regards

Norman

Received from the CWGC today, it looks as though the report was correct and hopefully if the remains are subjected to DNA analysis this may confirm that they are indeed those of the Officer concerned, problem is will such analysis take place and if so when for as far as I am aware there could be many found remains still waiting the attention they deserve from the MOD whose duty it is to investigate all such finds in an attempt to provide some identification where possible.

Our Ref: 78304

Date: 7 February 2013

Thank you for your e-mail of 6th February 2013 regarding Lieutenant-Colonel Angus Douglas-Hamilton VC, as mentioned in The Sunday Times on 27th January. I can confirm that the Commission does hold the set of remains in question. However, there is nothing to indicate that these are those of Lieutenant Colonel Douglas-Hamilton. The Ministry of Defence are also aware. Lieutenant-Colonel Hamilton is currently commemorated by the Commission on the Loos Memorial.

Yours sincerely

Paul Davis

Enquiries Administrator

Note that the request was sent to the CWGC on the 28/01/13 not 6/02/13 as in the above. I have of course thanked the Commission for this response

Norman.

An irrelevant comment and response have been hidden