Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Norseman

Dido

NORSEMAN was torpedoed on 22.01.16 by U 39 off Salonica. 360 out of the 1100 mules on board were lost.

In most publications it is reported that she was beached at Mudros, however a note from a Greek book mentions that she was beached near Salonica. It is a long way from Salonica to Mudros, and I can't see why to risk a sinking ship in such a voyage in the north Aegean, especially in winter. Is there anything firm to support whether she was grounded in Mudros or elsewhere?

Following is a newsclip from the "Auckland Star" of 31.1.16 mentioning that the ship took time to sink and could be beached. But it does not mention being taken away to Mudros.

post-47380-0-85745400-1359210350_thumb.j

I attach two photos of the grounded ship, unfortunately the scenary does not help to identify the location.

post-47380-0-14023600-1359210078_thumb.j

post-47380-0-16497300-1359210091_thumb.j

NORSEMAN was torpedoed 3 miles West of Cape Kara right at the boom defence off Salonici. She was towed by torpedoboat 030, HMT AVON and two french tugs and beached south of Tuzla Point.

From TNA files I know that salvage attempts were cancelled only on 01.07.1919 !!!

Oliver

Cape Kara is close to Tuzla Point which is the south westerly point of the peninsular south of Salonika on the eastern entrance to the port.

Only a short distance to keep the Norseman afloat before she grounded some distance from the shore.

Norseman had sailed from Plymouth, Devonshire, England, carrying troops and mules of the British 26th Division whose destination was Salonika.

The mules were of the 26th Divisional train AFC and the number lost seems somewhat variable. I have seen figures of 500-600.

Norseman was definitely salvaged post war. 1920 appears to be the year but a certain amount of material remains from her salvage location.

Please bear in mind many of these geographical names have changed since this era, some even carry multiple names.

• 8 years later...
On 03/02/2013 at 13:36, Lörscher said:

NORSEMAN was torpedoed 3 miles West of Cape Kara right at the boom defence off Salonici. She was towed by torpedoboat 030, HMT AVON and two french tugs and beached south of Tuzla Point.

From TNA files I know that salvage attempts were cancelled only on 01.07.1919 !!!

Oliver

Hi,

what are the sources for the above information?

What are the TNA files?

Nikolas

39 minutes ago, sidnik77 said:

What are the TNA files?

TNA =The National Archives

On 14/05/2021 at 22:47, RaySearching said:

TNA =The National Archives

Back in old times it would have been even more fun:

Public Record Office a.k.a. PRO i.e. PRO-files :o

Oliver

• 2 months later...

This one goes to Nikolas ...

can you contact me via Email (olli.loerscher [at] freenet.de) as I'm for whatever reason unable to send you a personal message!?!

Nikolas wrote a little bit on the NORSEMAN here:

http://www.wreckhistory.com/the-sinking-of-ss-norseman-at-megalo-karabourno/?lang=en

That for sure is interesting for other users too ... :-)

Oliver

The Greek artillery fort of Kara Burum was situated on a promontory that covered both the estuary of the Vardar river and the main seaway into Salonika harbour. The fort had been kept under daily observation since the allies had landed in Salonika. Rumours circulated that flashing lights had been seen at night signaling out to sea. These rumours came to a head when the SS NORSEMAN was torpedoed off Karaburun point. This resulted in the allies asking Greece to hand over the fort which was refused. The allies then went on to size the fort, thankfully without a shot being fired.        

Edited by Sgt Stripes

On 19/07/2021 at 20:31, Sgt Stripes said:

The Greek artillery fort of Kara Burum was situated on a promontory that covered both the estuary of the Vardar river and the main seaway into Salonika harbour. The fort had been kept under daily observation since the allies had landed in Salonika. Rumours circulated that flashing lights had been seen at night signaling out to sea. These rumours came to a head when the SS NORSEMAN was torpedoed off Karaburun point. This resulted in the allies asking Greece to hand over the fort which was refused. The allies then went on to size the fort, thankfully without a shot being fired.        

:thumbsup: