Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Berlin South Western Cemetery

Steve Bramley

Hi,

I'm going to Berlin for a few days soon. Could anyone tell me if it is possible to get to the above cemetery without the luxury of a car? And if so how long it would take from, say, the city centre?

If it is relatively easy then i'm more than willing to take photo's for anybody.

Regards,

Steve.

Steve,

Apologies if you have already looked at this but CWGC site has:

The Cemetery is located close to the village of Stahnsdorf, about 26 kilometres south west of Berlin and 15 kilometres east of Potsdam. The Cemetery is on the eastern edge of the Potsdam Forest. Visitors travelling along the main road between Potsdam and Stahnsdorf should follow signs for Tetlow, Stahnsdorf and the airport, Schonefeld. Immediately after passing the village boundary of Stahnsdorf lies the left hand turning, at the traffic lights, into Bahnhofstrasse. The Cemetery lies 500 metres after this left hand turning on the left hand side of the road. The CWGC plot is approximately twenty minutes walk from the entrance. The plot is found by following signs for the church and continuing on the main path running through the Cemetery.

The page is on:

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/cemetery_...ry=90900&mode=1

Asides from that I can't help, haven't made it to Berlin, YET!

Ali

Steve

Thanks you for the kind offer of photos.

If you get out to Berlin South Western Cemetery I would very much appreciate photos of the grave of

Private

D/19546

1st (King's) Dragoon Guards

who died on

Thursday, 26th September 1918. Age 36.

Grave Reference/

Panel Number:

III. D. 1.

When you enter the cemetery his grave is at the far end just to the left of the war stone. This is clear on the cemetery plan from the CWGC page on the link given by Ali.

I would like pics of the stone and also the full text in close up. General views of the cemetery would be most helpful. Of the 30 men from the parish who fell I am stuck for grave and cemetery photos of two. One is Harry Smith, the other is in India.

Hi Steve

Only just seen this thread so if you haven't already been to the Cemetery I would be most grateful for a piccie of Grave Number I. C. 1 Private 127371 William Stewart Cook 14th Btn Machine Gun Corps died 02/07/1918.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Ali, Jas, Steve.

Unfortunately I was unable to get to the cemetery. I was with my dad who is now in his seventies and had done just about enough walking i'm afraid.

For anyone who would like to know the route (9:20 start):

Berlin Zoologischer Garten (hbf) Train 9:20

Potsdam Hbf 9:37

Walk 5 mins

Bus (No 601) 9:53

Stahnsdorfer Hof, Stahnsdorf 10:24

Then follow Ali's instructions above,

Regards and apologies,

Steve.

The Gedachtniskirche, almost destroyed in an air raid in Nov 1943. Preserved as a memorial

post-19-1095849379.jpg

Photo at the Russian memorial from 1950 with ruined Reichstag behind.

post-19-1095850104.jpg

Steve,

Enjoyed the photo's, brings back memories of when I was stationed in Berlin in the mid 70's.

Regards

Steve Chilton