Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Clearance Holes

shippingsteel

I came across this one today which is interesting on quite a few levels - nothing too pristine here, but as original as they come in my opinion.

This surfaced out of an estate so is probably little changed since it came back from the war, and especially without the clearance hole added.

It's not in the best of condition and will need a bit of a cleanup, but they don't turn up that often and I have a soft spot for these "aberrations".! :rolleyes:

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-75488800-1359023151_thumb.j

So during the war it was found that the accumulation of debris in the mortise slot was causing problems when it came to attaching the bayonet to the rifle.

To overcome this the "Drilling of clearance hole through pommel" was introduced in List of Changes #17692 dated Jan/Feb 1916, for all future production.

Also many of the existing bayonets were drilled with the hole when they came in for repairs and maintenance, so examples without these holes are scarce.

Here is the view of the pommel of this bayonet showing the lack of hole, also some regimental markings and a rack number (looks to be stamped 1.N.L.?)

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-50390600-1359024122_thumb.j

Hello S>S

Thanks for the post. I wonder if you can give us details of the manufacturer and date of manufacture, etc.

Regards,

Michael H.

Yes Michael here is the view of the ricasso showing the production details and the manufacturer. It is dated Sept 1916 and that's why it is such an "aberration".

You see the Clearance Holes were introduced in the LOC in January and February of that year, making an example dated in September quite an unusual one.

Perhaps Chapman was slow to adopt these changes for some reason, or the manufacturers treated the LOC's as more a 'set of guidelines' rather than the 'rule'.?

Also interesting to note is the apparent neatness of the markings, even given its condition. As manufacturing increased later in the war this deteriorated markedly.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-22441600-1359030124_thumb.jpost-52604-0-16652400-1359030319_thumb.j

Here is a shot of the blade which presents in quite nice condition with a pleasing and even 'aged' patina. It's been well protected in the scabbard.

As can be seen, the same can not be said for the crossguard and pommel, which have remained exposed to the corrosive effect of the elements.

This is often the case with estate items that have been put aside and left forgotten. They do get neglected but hopefully this one can be restored. :)

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-56000600-1359034273_thumb.j

For future reference purposes here is the description of the whole process for drilling the Clearance Holes, from the List of Changes.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-87539500-1359096722_thumb.j

post-52604-0-84856100-1359096845_thumb.j

Are you sure of the unit markings?

No not really, they aren't that clear but I'm always open to suggestions. Here is an adjusted closeup which may help a little.

Could be 1.N.L. for the Loyal North Lancs (if they used an I for a 1) or even I.N.F. for the Inniskilling Fusiliers - hard to say.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-99101000-1359100574_thumb.j

S>S

Many thanks for the extra photos and L o C details. Much appreciated. It would be interesting to find out roughly when Chapman started drilling the clearance holes and thus determine whether your bayonet is one that slipped through without that modification or alternatively whether none of them had it in 9 '16.

Regards,

Michael H.

I don't recall seeing any other bayonets from 1916 without the Clearance Hole modification, but I do have several examples from British production during 1915.

For wartime production British P1907's to be still without the hole they will also have to have slipped out of circulation and never been returned for maintenance.

So when I see these examples turn up, to me they are still the original bayonets that have escaped any further usage, and subsequent rework or refurbishment.

Below is a comparison which shows the 3 possible variations - right is a 1915 without the Hole, centre is Standard with Hole, and left the larger Vickers type Hole.

(Interestingly, the centre example is actually also a Chapman from earlier in May 1915, but because it continued in service it's had the Clearance Hole retrofitted)

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-65725300-1359196775_thumb.j

Thanks again S>S. I actually only have six P1907 bayonets in my collection. Two of them are 1915 dated without clearance holes so I had assumed examples are fairly common. I now know differently and will keep my eyes open.

Again, many thanks for sharing your expertise.

Regards,

Michael H.

Michael, are your 1915 examples without the holes both from British makers.? And they should not have been reissued.?

You will also find Remington (USA) and Lithgow (Australian) P1907 production without holes but that is standard for them. :)

Cheers, S>S

Hello S.S.

Yes, one marked 6 '15 by EFD and the other 10 '15 by Sanderson. The former is regimentally marked with a matching number on the scabbard and both scabbards are 1915 dated and brown. Neither has any reissue marks. Both are in fairly good condition with little service wear.

Regards,

Michael.

Sound like really nice examples to me, well done.! And your description is exactly in the slot for how the wartime made original NCH bayonets should be found. :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S