Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

sargeant major j.h.s.baker

jhsbaker

hi all,,hopefully i am in the right place lol..imy primary object in joining this group is to try and find out something of my deceased fathers war history/ records with the 1st easy yorkshire infantry regiment,,and hopefully to make a few new friends along the way lol..i know through the 1911 census he was with the regiment as a recruit in the salamanca barracks in aldershot and by 1914/15 he was a sargeant as i found a war medal document he gained in france in 1914 / 15....can anyone please advise me how i might find a service number for my father and /or any records for him..he was john henry spindley baker born in gainsborohj lincolnshire in 1891,,i would be grateful for any advice or information that you think might help get me started...edwin baker..son...

Welcome to the forum.

Your father's number was 9454. His medal index card will be available on Ancestry, free if you subscribe, or you can access via a local library. You can also get a copy via the National Archives site for a couple of quid.

Have you looked at the Long Long Trail site? There is a link at the top of these pages. It will lead you to all sorts of information, not necessarily about your father, but about his regiment and the army in WW1.

Good hunting.

D

His MIC or Medal Index Card tells us he served from 15th Jan, 1915 in France, as a Private and then Sergeant No.9454 with the East Yorkshire Regt. He was entitled to the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal.

Do you have Ancestry?

This link will take you to the document.

http://search.ancest...src=&pid=499995

He served for some time and was discharged. He may have been ill or wounded to have been awarded the WSB or War Service Badge.

This link takes you the document for this.

http://search.ancest...src=&pid=572695

Looks like he joined up 27th April 1910 and was discharged 29th January 1919 aged 26 Badge No.161974

Will see if there is anything else on him in Ancestry.........I can email you the details I/we find.

Cheers

Richard Whitworth in Scawby Brook, Lincs

Had a look through the Service Records and nothing jumps out at me for your father....sorry.

There are a few experts on the East Yorkshire units who will certainly be able to help

Cheers

Richard

He served for some time and was discharged. He may have been ill or wounded to have been awarded the WSB or War Service Badge.

This link takes you the document for this.

http://search.ancest...src=&pid=572695

Looks like he joined up 27th April 1910 and was discharged 29th January 1919 aged 26 Badge No.161974

Cheers

Richard Whitworth in Scawby Brook, Lincs

An explanation can be seen HERE (SWB rather than WSB :thumbsup: )

CGM

An explanation can be seen HERE (SWB rather than WSB :thumbsup: )

CGM

Typing too quickly and the 'W' & 'S'are too close together, is my excuse......or have the kids been mixing up the keys on the keyboard again, making it like an Enigma machine! :hypocrite:........

DickW

a big thankyou to all the people who responded to my first post concerning my late father jhs baker,,i very much appreciate thier time and effort and kind response,,i have gained some valuble info that i can use to make further progress,,i thank you all kindly..edwin baker (son )

i would like to add that from what i know from my elder brother and sister is that my father suffered malaria in africa or india and was treated and over dosed with quinine and lost his hair, and finger nails,,i presume this would be before he went to france ,maybe someone can help me with that,,he later suffered from mustard gas apparently,suppose that might have been in france,,maybe this is why he recieved the s.w.b... is there any record of the regiment being in africa or india ?? any info on this subject would me much appreciated..with thanks edwin baker ...

The 2nd Bn. was in India (Kamptee) at the outbreak of war, returning home in the December of 1914.

They were mobilised for war in on the 16th January of 1915. This ties in with your fathers entry to theatre of war of 15th January, 1915 on his MIC document.

A look at his Medal Roll may show his attachment to the 2nd Bn. prior to arrival in the France & Flanders theatre of war.

The Medal Rolls show a list of wartime battalions belonged to by a soldier, in many cases.

However, pre-war service is not included. Though, because at the time of the outbreak of war, his belonging to another battalion maybe showed as he was with them until he came to France, when the war had already begun.

We shall see what the East Yorks experts say, later.

Click on this link and scroll down for full details.

http://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/Unit-Info/4693

If he suffered from being gassed it is highly likely the reason behind his award of the SWB (or even a WSB :thumbsup: if you get my drift!)

All the battalions are listed with the latest link.......though, a copy of his Medal Roll would be really handy to confirm one or two things.

I'll put a feeler out in one or two of the sub forums.

Cheers,

Richard Whitworth

thanks so much richard (whitworth ) i realy appreciate the time and effort you have put in on my behalf,,already i feel i know so much more about my father and his contribution to his family and nation regarding the horrible events of 1914 / 1918 ,,i wish i had been able to thank him personaly,,but back then i was too young to understand ....best wishes richard...edwin...

No problem, Edwin.

Many have gone by with no recognition or interest being taken in their part in the war.

It would be nice to get a photograph of the man up on here......do you have any of his military service time?

Cheers

RW