Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Collar Badge i/d Please

tn.drummond

Assumed to be a Cavalryman of British Army in India though could be Indian Regiment.

Private / Trooper 2 X 2 Year Good Conduct Chevrons and Crossed Skill at arms Muskets.

Splendidly polished boots.

I am unable to identify the collar badges or the Divisional Patch (Possibly) to Tropical Helmet.

All and any ideas gratefully received.

Tim

post-53823-0-23015200-1358864309_thumb.j

post-53823-0-19096500-1358864366_thumb.j

First stab is the 14th/20th Hussars - post 1922. The 14th did wear a badge like this pre-war, but it was changed due to the Germanic associations.

http://www.blitzandpeaces.co.uk/museum/WWII%20militaria/WWII%20BRITISH%20ARMY%20EQUIPMENT%20PHOTOS/slides/14th%20%2020th%20HUSSARS%20CAP%20BADGE%20POST%201922.jpg

That really is a very good shout given the lack of detail in my image. Certainly places it in the 'possible to probable' spectrum.

Thanks

Tim

The Hawk was my thought, too, but I'd go for 14th (King's) Hussars pre-GW. The 'neutral' badge wasn't introduced until (IIRC) 1915, and the Hawk not reintroduced until quite soon before WW2, and I'd say it's a picture taken before the GW. The 14th were in India pre-war (Mhow, as part of the Meerut Brigade, remaining in India when that Brigade proceeded to France in 1914).

Thanks Steven - I'm not sure I've got you right here, but if you are suggesting pre-GW 14th what was the badge likely to look like?.

I've plenty of references for the cap but none for the collar.

Tim

I agree with Steven that he is a soldier of the 14th KH in the period before WW1. His collar badge looks to be the simple Prussian eagle, as enclosed.

His boots are a particularly fine example of the 'Hessian' type worn with parade forms of dress.

post-599-0-55453800-1358884705_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-02024300-1358884907_thumb.jpg

Thanks Frogsmile,Steven and Phil. Looks to be 'job done'

Tim

Nice 'tache, I have to say.

Nice 'tache, I have to say.

'Mine' or Frogsmiles ?...

...no, must be Frogsmiles...

I'm quite fond of mine, but all on display are crackers.

I actually shaved mine off prior to Christmas and, strangely, can no longer tolerate even a hint of fluff under the nostrils - must be weakening in me dotage.

The 'flash' on the F.S.H. is probably a cloth representation of the short 'horse hair plume' worn by the 14th Hussars. Post WWI Hussar units actually wore their horse hair plumes with the F.S.H. making them much easier to identify.

The 'flash' on the F.S.H. is probably a cloth representation of the short 'horse hair plume' worn by the 14th Hussars. Post WWI Hussar units actually wore their horse hair plumes with the F.S.H. making them much easier to identify.

That's interesting. I'd thought it was half a rectangle but given a really close inspection of the original with my strongest magnifying glass I think I can detect the puggaree below the top right edge of the triangle. This would support it being a representation of a plume as you suggest.

Thanks

Tim