Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fair price for 1914-1920 B. W. M. and Victory medals?

jbw541

Hello,

I`m interested in purchasing a couple of medals (from a well known auction site). I`ve bought a few cap badges before but these medals would be the first that I`ve purchased. The medals are a 1914-1920, British War Medal and a Victory medal, awarded to the same man. I`ve no connection to the soldier other than I`ve just started to research the Regiment that he served in. I have no idea what these medals are worth. has anyone an idea how much that I should bid?

Thanks. Joe.

It depends on a number of factors, but the base price would be £40-45. Things that would increase that price would be, in no particular order, the unit he served in, his rank (officer or 'other rank'), was he a casualty, have his service papers survived, research potential, etc.

Have a look at dealers' websites for a general overview of prices, but bear in mind that some dealers are so overpriced that stock sits on their lists for years, literally.

Good luck, because a 'humble pair' is the thin end of the wedge and you could well become hooked on holding a little piece of history.

Joe,

As Ken says medal prices are affected by multilple factors but as a ball park a BWM VM pair to a British line regiment are generally £35-45 .....however some battalions within regiments are very sought after such as Pals Battalions some Territorial Battalions also attract a premium. Irish Regiments are about double or triple the price of British Regiments. Photos, papers original ephemera all lift prices as well.

Royal Artillery Royal Engineers slightly less about £30-40 ASC and AOC much undervalued and can sometimes be bought at lower than £30.

Withought giving away the listing if you let me know the Regiment I can advise further.

regards and good luck Mark

I think the age old axiom that they're 'worth what you're prepared to pay' always stand good stead.

Without being patronising I'd stick at a figure, based on the advice you're being given, and prioritise based upon the regiments you are interested in. Regiments are not necessarily comparable but the smaller London, Scottish and Irish Battalions will always command a premium, as will the Pals, Yeomanry, Cavalry and those units that fought in significant 'heroic' ventures such as Somme and Gallipoli. Officer's command more than Privates and again this will be based upon rarity value as well as, dare I say, some romanticism. Any Anzac items will always attract high interest from overseas buyers and South African Units will also attract 'good' prices. Bermudan, Newfoundland and equally remote 'Empire' units can hit very high premiums. It is a sad fact, but one that must be faced, that anything belonging to those KiA or DoW will exponentially increase the value. All this adds up to the reality that a pair belonging to to an Officer of a Small Territorial Battalion Killed on 1/7/16 will commend significantly more (unrealistically) than an ASC Driver who served from 1914-1918 without incident.

I collect photographs and postcards but these principles equally apply.

Decide what you want to collect, set a budget and stick to it. That's my advice.

Tim

Mark, Ken and Tim,

Thank you for your tips, help and advice. Unfortunately I did not win these medals. But I did learn alot for the next time an interesting group comes up! Perhaps it`s for the best, at least I`ve a couple of quid to buy my lass some flowers now, she might just forgive me for spending hours on line spent reading about the great War.

Thanks again. Joe.

Hi Joe,

Have a look on-line at dealers lists, there are quite a number of BWM and VM pairs to line regiments(infantry) at £40. Buying at a fixed price is so much easier and better for the heart/nerves, than trying to bid on-line against others. It is also very easy to pay more in an auction than you really intended once 'Auction Fever' takes hold!!

Take great care when purchasing from someone you don't know and ask other more experienced collectors for their opinions about your intended purchase. Unfortunately there are still a number of rogues out there who will 'hoodwink' you as a 'rookie' given half a chance.

Caveat Emptor.

Robert

what did they sell for ?

Billy

Billy,I had a look at your Memorial pages. Good work, nice photos and research on the men.

Joe.