Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap badges on Brodie Helmets.

IJDALLINGER

Does any one have any information on how frequent was the practice of attaching regimental badges to Brodie Helmets? Was this practice for officers only and did it occur only on private purchases or where they issue? Any help gratefully received. post-43976-0-87600700-1358791455_thumb.j

Regiments who had a particular tradition of doing this included the Royal Warwickshire Regiment (RWR) and the Worcestershire Regiment. The former's regular battalions especially had been doing the same for some years on foreign service helmets like the Wolseley and carried this over on to the Brodie steel helmet. The RWR did so for all ranks.

There were others, but it was not especially common.

The photo appears to show the badge of the Liverpool Pals - 17th to 20th (Service) Battalions, King's Liverpool Regiment, taken from Lord Derby's family crest popularly known as the bird and babby.

Hi, the Brodie shown is currently listed on beay...are you the potential purchaser or the vendor

12th East Surrey,

I think this is under discussion on the Badge forum?

As stated badges were not common on helmets but also not unknown / uncommon. There can be found period photos showing badged helmets. I have never seen a Liverpool Pals one before on any photos. I am afraid I do not think you badge and helmet were together 14 / 18 IMHO and it is MHO. You and others are fre to disagree and in the end if you are happy and the price was right for you then good!

I have a badged KOYLI helmet (OR), a badged CFA (OR), a badged officers South Lancs (I think as the helmet has original cover that were I attempt to remove would tear) and a badged (post war on boat home?) USMC helmet with Indian Head painted badge also.

Painted insignia is more common.

Regards

TT

Thanks trench trotter. I am still undecided really. You think this might be an original helmet and later addition badge?