Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification Help

Guest Chip Minx

Attached is a picture of a mask sent to me by a collector friend. I have gone through all of my reference and have not been able to identify it. He seems to think that it is a British experimental piece. I am not convinced that it even has military origin.

In addition to the odd smiley face visage, it also has a mechanism for clearing fog from the inside of the eye pieces. A small rod can be manipulated so that an absorbant wadding wipes the inside clean. I have never seen anything like it.

Can anyone help with an identification?

Thanks,

Chip

post-23-1094012041.jpg

I am gas mask collector for almost 15 years.

Never saw this one before.

The goggles look like French / British model 1916.

But the modification you talk about is almost for sure post war.

This is 80% an indutrial mask. The smile piece can be for replacement tampons, cotton pads.

greets,

kristof

Certainly nothing in my reference books - a very interesting mask indeed. Like Kristof I believe it could be French, it is somewhat reminiscent of the French M2 don't you think?

Chip.

Are you sure it's even a gas-mask? To me, it looks more like something like an "anti-frostbite" mask or face protection from some extreme or other such as those issued to high altitude/cold weather pilots (or even drivers in extreme conditions). The "smiley face" could be to allow the breath and moisture to escape.

It could be military or private purchase military. Then again, civilians also used them circa 1910-1930's. A similar type could be encountered on some bomber crews of WW2 . If the straps are "tie around" rather than a "head harness" of some sort, then I'll be more convinced that this is the case.

Are there any markings on it?

Dave.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

As Dave has said some US bomber crews wore a protective mask in WW2. What you have looks very much like the mask on display at the RAF Museum, Hendon, worn by the waist gunners of the Flying Fortress.

Ian

Chip.

What's the face-piece made of ?

Dave.

Dave,

The material appears to be a canvas twill. On the inside it is lined in a thin rubber-like treatment. The back of the mouthpiece looks like some sort of sponge material. From the back, it does not look like it would seal very well. Looks like a welder's mask. :huh:

Chip

Dave,

The material appears to be a canvas twill. On the inside it is lined in a thin rubber-like treatment. The back of the mouthpiece looks like some sort of sponge material. From the back, it does not look like it would seal very well. Looks like a welder's mask. :huh:

Chip

Thanks Chip.

I'll push the boat out here and say that it's definately a "frostbite" mask! That description almost matches them exactly, the "sponge" material in the mouthpiece area designed to slightly warm up the air taken when breathing in (preventing coughing spasms) . This item could identify it as being a post-1940 construction (the 1930's variants being towelling, rather than a sponge material, at the mouth).I take it is a "head tie" fastener rather than a "harness" then ?

I don't know if it's military or civilian though. (I'm no expert on these!)

Dave.

As you can see in the picture, the mask is just held on with tie tapes.

Thought so. I was unsure whether this was the case or if it was a "snapped" (ie.broken) harness.

It's a definately a "frost mask" of some type then.

Dave.

just back from the WTS museum in Koblenz... nice collection.

But a lack on NBC stuff :(

I support your analyse Croonaert. i fully aggree.

greets,

kristof