Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recent acquisition

Ralph J. Whitehead

I recently received a long awaited Christmas gift from the wife, an item I have always wanted but could never find before, Pickelhaubenüberzug with the green felt numbers from IR 180, 26th Reserve Division, including a copy of his regimental history, a M1915 belt buckle, postcard and letter, all probably from Major Fleischmann, II Battalion commander as the letter is dated on 5 January 1915 in Thiepval with his signature. The fragment of the belt that survives appears to be an Ersatz material, reinforced hard cardboard with leather attachments.

After 38 years of marriage, she really does know what I want for the holidays.

Ralph

post-32-0-08015900-1358710854_thumb.jpg

Wonderful items and in the right hands! Where were they sourced from. This would add to the provenance.

Well done and nice pressie.

TT

Per the seller, they came from a family home in Schwäbisch Gmünd, he does not have the name of the family, his brother had them about 15 years. I am doing a bit more research into the letter and hopefully can match further details together. Fortunately, both the buckle and helmet cover are identical to ones for officers, making the claim that much stronger. Regardless of the history, I am quite happy with them and that they even exist these days.

Ralph

Nice! Always have an interest in the Wurtemburgers as they were on the other side of the wire (!) from my favoured Unit in July 1916.

Look forward to hear whether you can progress the research.

Regards,

Jonathan S