Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grandad's Medals

John(txic)

Whilst a voracious/rapacious purchaser of books, I have so far avoided the temptation of collecting Militaria.

However, I am wondering whatever happened to Grandad's medals? We are not a close family (on either side) and in any event all bar one of the succeeding generation are dead also.

Is there anywhere I can find whether Grandad's medals were ever sold? or are available for purchase? Making things difficult, I only have the service details for one of them anyway.

Any suggestions?

If you have your Grandad's service number ,Regt etc this will give you a base to check records and dealers.

I'm sure more advice is coming via this page.

ALLEN

John,

the best thing I can suggest is that you join the British Medal Forum and pose your question. Because these guys are totally into medal collection there is a good chance you

may strike it lucky. Nothing lost, nothing gained. Cheers

Hi John,

If you can post as many details as you have about your GF on here, then I am sure that someone will expand on them for you. Also quite a number of members are medal collectors so you may just be lucky!!

As David has already said the BMF should be a good place to post some details and you could also put an advert in Medal News magazine where they have a 'Medal Tracker' page for people trying to locate lost medals.

Good Luck,

Robert

Thanks!

The one I am sure of is Gnr. 154224 Benjamin Westwood, 431 (S) Bty RGA.

Both my parents are the youngest of their respective families, so if any medals existed they'd have been claimed by siblings higher up the pecking order - all of whom are now deceased.

Cheers,

John