Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

APO 564

Ivor Lee

Amongst a collection of papers I bought recently was a Green Envelope marked Army Post Office 564.

Can anyone tell me where APO 564 was located?

Ivor

Army Post Offices changed their numbers periodically swapping their numbers with other APO's for security purposes.

The following books are likely to help you trace the move movements of your particular APO:

"History of the British Army Postal Service 1903-1927." EB Proud. Published by Proud-Bailey Co Ltd, Derham, Norfolk.

"The Postal History of the British Army in WW1," Kennedy and Crabb. Published by George Crabb, Epsom, 1977.

I have managed to obtain both of these publications through the Inter-Library Loan Service and the British Library Lending Service (via my local library). Both books are highly recommended.

Terry Reeves

Ivor

Unless you have the date as well, you will not get the location.

All the best

John

John

My complete ignorance of the PO system has been exposed!

This green envelope was postmarked APO 564 and dated 31 August 1918.

in case this helps.

Guest dave neale

Ivor,

I have recently acquired one of the books Terry has mentioned, "The Postal History of the British Army in World War I". I agree with Terry and recommend it. Although it takes a while to decipher it!

I think you will find that your APO mark is S64 and not 564.

This was an APO in France that would have been serving the Corps Troops, some of which travelled with the same Corps but others were in a fixed location and served the Corps that was in the area at the time. So in this book there appears to be no further information.

Dave

Dave

Thanks for the help.

The S (or as I read it 5) is quite smudged.

An APO serving Corps Troops makes sense as the man was in a Labour Corps Employment Company attached to XVIII Corps.