Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion Sherwood Foresters

Paul Bradshaw

Advice/help needed please. I am trying to locate the war diaries for the above Battalion for 1916.

One man I am interested in was killed 16/5/1916; the other 16/9/1916.

The National Archives lists the 2nd Sherwoods diary but only for the period August 1914 to October 1915.

Both men are shown an the CWGC and "Soldiers who died in the Great War" as belonging to the 2nd Sherwoods and not to the many others, eg 2/5; 2/7, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul.

Thanks once again Graeme--I am going to Kew mid-February weather permitting, so will order the document then.

Once again, thank you-your help is very much appreciated.

Paul.

2nd Battalion Sherwood Foresters

Canal Bank

14.05.1916. Whole strength called on for working parties.

15th. Working parties returned early owing to shelling, two men wounded in 'A' Company. Also 50 Reinforcements joined for duty.

16th. Usual working parties. One man was killed and one wounded, five men slightly wounded on Canal Bank by shrapnel. Lt/Col C.J.W. Hobbs (DSO later killed) left for London to attend an Investiture by the King at Buckingham Palace. Major E.R. Street (DSO later to die of wounds) took over temporary command of the Battalion.

17th. Scheme started for strengthening the East bank of the Canal, Regiment on Canal Bank to work on it in the afternoon.

18th. Relieved by 1st Leicesters at about midnight. Companys marched independently, no trains being supplied. Three hundred men were called out for working parties, these parties returned by bus from the Asylum about 2.30 a.m. Took over Camp 'D' in the wood. Major Tomlinson and Lieutenant F.E. Jones rejoined from leave. Second Lieutenants Reed and Barratt started on leave. Lieutenant W. Stackhouse joined the Regiment and was taken on strength accordingly and posted to letter 'B' Company.

GUILLEMONT

6.20 a.m. All fairly quiet last night. The 1st Leicestershire Regiment passed through the Battalion to attack their 1st objective. The Battalion got into position in attack formation ready to advance and take over positions captured and vacated by the 1st Leicestershires 1 hour and 30 minutes after their 1st advance, in the following order,

'A' Company with remainder of 'D' Company in front line and a Two Platoon in front.

'B' and 'C' Companies each two platoons strong on a one Platoon front in Support.

7.30 a.m. Battalion Head Quarters moved up to where Battalion were formed up.

7.50 a.m. Battalion advanced 150 yards between Companies and immediately came under heavy Machine Gun fire from our right front. We had not gone far before we heard the Leicesters were held up by M.G. fire and unable to get on. After an advance of about 500 yards we found the Leicesters about 150 yards in front of us so dug in in rear of them.

8 a.m. Battalion Head Quarters moved up to a Shell hole immediately in rear of the Battalion.

8.15 a.m. Orders were sent to O.C. 'A' Company to try and get in touch with the 9th Suffolks on our right. The Battalion dug in shell holes.

8.28 a.m. C.O. went up to O.C. Leicesters and asked if he required any support from us. No support was required. Both Battalions have suffered heavily. mostly from M.G. fire.

9.30 a.m. A Patrol was sent out from 'A' Company to reconnoitre the German trench running north from Quadrilatral in front of Leicesters where men in our helmets could be seen on our left front. Patrols reported trench held by the Boche and heavily wired. N.C.O. i/c Patrol killed and 2 men wounded.

1.30 p.m. Two Platoons of 'A' Company were sent forward to get in touch with the Guards on our left. All efforts to get in touch with 9th Suffolks on our right were unuccessful.

5.40 p.m. Orders were received from Brigade to dig in and remain where we are.

6.20 p.m. About 200 of the enemy were seen coming over the rise West of Lesboeuf, advancing in a North Westerly direction. We opened fire at 1,400 yards which seemed to be effective, this counter attack was broken up by the Guards on our left.

7 p.m. A large number of the enemy were seen advancing towards the Guards from Lesboeuf 10 p.m. The Battalion were heavily shelled during the day at short intervals. Sent a wire to Brigade asking for Major Street and Lieutenant Mellor to join from Transport.

BRONNO.

Morning Bronno

Can you help with a date I need, too, please.

I have a man Kia on 23 March 1918.

Is is possible to post 21st to 23rd, please.

Many thanks,

Graeme

Bronno,

Only just picked up your posting--what can I say except many many thanks.

Paul.