Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help with uniform/ regiment please

bill46

Hi

Can anyone identify the uniform/regiment of the attached photo? Don't have any info i'm afraid.post-26459-0-60963600-1358442809_thumb.j

Looks like a recruit training camp 1914 - 1918.

Hope someone may be able to help.

regards

Bill.

Hi

Looks more like Royal Fusiliers to me - especially 3rd left. Less flames for GG and more (of course) for the HAC.

Any shoulder titles visible ?

Tim

If it helps date the picture and or possibly identify the unit (I'll leave the badge stuff up to those who know what they are talking about!) it is almost certainly a late 1914 early 1915 training picture as they have pattern 1914 Leather Equipment and their rifles appear to be LEE-METFORD MkI* (approved in 1892) so certainly not front line issue by that point.

(MkI* identified/distinguished by grasping grooves in stock and under cut-off, absence of charger bridge and safety on bolt, shape of the magazine(deeper single stack 8rnd magazine), presence of marking disc in butt (and absence of sling swivel - note slings run from forward of magazine to muzzle in the style of the even earlier long rifles) and shape of foresight -- although this last one is not really clear enough to tell definitively)

Chris

Hi, Badge is definately of the Royal Fusiliers

Going by the door behind them they are B Company of 20th Battalion the Royal Fusiliers, who were a war raised unit (i.e. Service Battalion) and part of 33rd Division in France and Flanders.

The photo was almost certainly taken at Clipstone training camp in Britain shortly after the battalion was formed and before transit to France.

20th Battalion (3rd Public School)

Raised at Epsom by the Public Schools and University Mens' Forces on 11.9.14. Located at Leatherhead October 1914 to March 1915. To Clipstone Camp June 1915 as part of 98th Brigade, 33rd Division. Taken over by the War Office on 1.7.15. To Tidworth August 1915. Landed in France November 1915. To 19th Brigade, 33rd Division on 27.11.15. Many of the original members of the battalion went off to take commissions. However, the battalion stayed with 19th Brigade, 33rd Division. The battalion was disbanded on 16.2.18.

thanks for all your replies, you have answered a few questions and pointed me in the right direction for further research.

Bill