Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shrapnel Balls

John Shaw

Over the years one finds many lead shrapnel balls but in that time I have only ever found two steel ones. Did all nations use lead or did some use steel?

John-

Are the steel Shrapnel balls bigger than the lead ones? I'm the same, have seen only two steel ones (now rusted obviously) compared to hundred upon hundred of lead ones...

As far as your questions goes, I think I posted one a while ago and I got the answer that the German's did use steel shrapnel balls later in the war.

Mark

As i know, the Germans used steel ones. I have about 100 comming out of a shell.

Because of the shortfall in the Heavy Artillery the converted some naval guns they put them in a wheeled platform. The naval shrapnel ammunition was for the most filled with 1 and 2oz sand shot, for instance the 7.5in Mk III shrapnel contained 407 2-oz sand shot.(cast iron balls).

John

Like wise I too have a few steel shrapnel balls. I cleaned them up but they are still quite pitted from nearly 90 years of rusting. Even so they still appear to be roughly the same size as the lead ones.

Jon

Rabbit droppings have been confused for shrapnel balls by some! I'm serious.

:lol: I bet they don't hold up to the squeeze test very well do they?!

Because of the shortfall in the Heavy Artillery the converted some naval guns they put them in a wheeled platform. The naval shrapnel ammunition was for the most filled with 1 and 2oz sand shot, for instance the 7.5in Mk III shrapnel contained 407 2-oz sand shot.(cast iron balls).

John

JOHN

You say they used cast iron, which is a crap brittle metal which would be only effective against flesh. Could it have been cast steel which with the right velocity would penetrete thin armour.

Nigel

I quote " Material of bullets" Earlier marks of shrapnel 7.5in to 13.5in had bullets made of cast iron called "Sand Shot". The shell B.L. shrapnel 12in heavy Mark I |N| has 12oz steel balls.

John

Someone else who cant sleep ah John ?

When you say 1oz + 2oz-------that means that the shot would have been quite large, a lot bigger than rabbit droppings, i can understand the steel balls being large to penetrate harder materials but do you have any idea why the cast balls were so big ?

Nigel

I would say that it was old ammunition nothing better to sweep the decks with. The naval changed and came into line with the army and used antimony balls. 4 parts lead 1 part tin.

John

Do you know why they use lead alloy in shot and bullets John ? I can answer this, see i do know something.

Its because when this alloy hits its target under speed, it expels its kinetic energy into the target by squashing even though it may be hitting soft flesh, so to say that a piece of shot had the force of say "x", as much of "x" as possible is transferred into its target and can cause as much damage as the penertrating wound it will also cause, An example is when you shoot a bird or rabbit whith shot from a shotgun, you will find very little of that shot has penertrated further than the skin of the animal but the animal dies immediatly from shock

The shrapnel balls are made as small as possible so as to get the maximum number into the shell, but the bullets must be effective. It is considered that for a field shrapnel bullet to be effective against personel it should have a stiking energy of at least 60ft-lb.

Rabbit droppings have been confused for shrapnel balls by some! I'm serious.

My (7 year old) daughter made this mistake when I visited the battlefields near Arras. After spending the day dragging my family around and looking at various artefacts (7.7cm shells etc) my daughter picked up a rabbit dropping and asked me "What was this in the war?"

Brendon.

The legal muzzle velocity off a .22 airrifle- UK is i think 12ft-lbs-----------A .22 rifle starts at 100ft-lbs, i think to do damage you would need at least 30ft-lbs for this rabbit dropping shrapnel, but you say John STRIKING energy, is this correct, and if so what range are we talking about, or do you mean the equivelant of muzzle velocity. Also are we talking about rabbit dropping shot or 1oz + 2oz shrapnel which with the heavier weight need less ft lbs at striking the target