Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marines at Gallipoli 1915

Ferguson73uk

Does anyone have a contemporary map of the area where the Royal Marines would have fought at Gallipoli?

Thanks!

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

Ive got Westlakes Regiments in Gallipoli at home so can ID where they were, and have collected several maps of the Suvla, Anzac & Helles areas. If no one else can help, Ill be able to tommorrow (book's at home & Im at work Im afraid!). Am unfamiliar with the RM's, but Im assuming they'll be in the book mentioned above ... :huh:

Steve

Jonathan,

I recall from another thread that you are interested in the service of your great-uncle at Gallipoli; “He landed on 25th April 1915 and spent 4 months in the trenches there, according to his service record.”

Can you help by giving the name of his battalion?

This might assist in identifying the actions which he took part in and also the areas of Gallipoli for which you require maps

[steve - I regret that Mr Westlake’s otherwise most useful book, does not cover the Royal Naval Division’s Naval or Marine Brigades]

From John H. Morcombe’s book on Jack Clegg – “If you’re alive speak, If you’re dead don’t bother” the major actions of the RMs at Gallipoli were;

4th March 1915: Landing at Sedd-ul-Bahr & Kum Kale

Plymouth Bn., RMLI, Cos 3 & 4

25th-26th April 1915: Landing & withdrawal at ‘Y’ Beach, Cape Helles

Plymouth Bn. RMLI

28th April – 13th May 1915: Defence of Anzac Beachhead

Portsmouth, Chatham & Deal Bns. RMLI

6th-11th May 1915: Second Battle of Krithia, Cape Helles

Plymouth Bn. RMLI

4th June 1915: Third Battle of Krithia, Cape Helles

Four RMLI Bns in Reserve

12th-13th July 1915: Action of Achi Baba Nullah

Four RMLI Bns in Support

If you can supply the battalion name then hopefully someone can come-up with a map or maps

Regards

Michael D.R.

At the moment I only have his 2/8th Worcs. Service Record (after he joined Officer Cadet school in 1917). Checking through this again, I found these details:

He joined the RM on 21/9/14, 'Private Ply. 331S'. On 23rd April 1917 he was with 'Stanger Battery c/o HMS Imperieur'. There is also a handwritten note which states: 'Landed at Gallipoli 25th Apl 1915 - action in trenches 4 months'.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan

Jonathan,

At first glance he appears to be a ‘Plymouth’ marine on a short service enlistment

Can you also give his name please?

Regards

Michael D.R.

Jonathan,

A short service enlistment is indicated by the ‘S’ in the service number

A man would join [from Sept ‘14] for three years or the duration of the war

He would then receive six weeks infantry training before joining his RM battalion

Harry O. Fielding’s training would continue into November 1914 so he missed the action at Ostend/Antwerp; this is also indicated as I cannot find his name in Fevyer & Wilson’s “The 1914 Star to the RN & RM.” For firm info on Fielding’s service however you will need to see his RM records

He would probably have sailed on the ‘SS Braemar Castle’ from Devonport on the afternoon of 6th February 1915.

Working on what we have at the moment, “Landed at Gallipoli 25 Apl 1915 – action in trenches 4 months” suggests that he was with the Plymouth Battalion when they landed at ‘Y’ Beach at Helles on 25th April 1915.

To start you off on your quest for maps, I will post below a general map of Gallipoli, a second one more specific to ‘Y’ Beach and a photograph

Regards

Michael D.R.

post-5-1094058154.jpg

Edited by michaeldr

The map above is from the back cover of Nigel Steel's "Gallipoli" in the Battleground Europe series published by Leo Cooper

The map below is from Capt Christopher Page's "Command in the Royal Naval Division - A Military Biography of Brigadier A. M. Asquith DSO"

Both maps are sized here to conform to Chris' 200K rule

post-5-1094058564.jpg

Edited by michaeldr

The photograph below shows 'Y' Beach and the coast and is from the IWM [their ref Q 14831]

I hope that you will find these items of use

Regards

Michael D.R.

post-5-1094018876.jpg

“action in trenches 4 months” is a bit of a puzzle

Why only four months?

There is a record of 300 stokers being recalled from the Naval Brigades for service afloat with the fleet, but nothing about the transfer of RMs who were in fact short of reinforcements at this time. So short, that after the Achi-baba Nullah action the 4 RM battalions were amalgamated in to two; the Plymouth combined with Portsmouth

If you can get his RM record it is possible that it will give the reason; perhaps he was wounded???

Best regards

Michael D.R.

Both maps are sized here to conform to Chris' 200K rule

Jonathan

Sorry about the maps: my son/technical advisor tells me that I have mistaken pixel size for file size

Please bear with me and I will try to substitute readable ones

Michael D.R.