Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

JOHN J SINYARD - CONSCIENTIOUS OBJECTOR?

bobpike

The matter of reporting names of applicants to MSTs was entirely at the discretion of the newspaper concerned. The hearings were open to the public and the press, and there was complete freedom to report, as in the ordinary courts. There was never any attempt by central government to inhibit reporting, and local government would have had no power whatsoever to inhibit reporting.

The fact that some newspapers, in some areas, chose not to report names was a matter for which they alone are answerable, but I am not aware that any explanation has ever been offered.

The cutting displayed by Stephen Nulty relates only to non-CO cases. As I have no particular interest in such cases, I have not made any study as to whether the no-name reporting of MSTs related only to CO cases, or whether each newspaper had a blanket attitude to all MSTs, either to report all names, or to report no names, regardless of whether cases concerned COs.

This matter has been discussed, I thought exhaustively, on another thread in GWF, but as it has come up again, like a hardy perennial, it has had again to be dealt with.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have any records of C O's in Caernarfonshire during the first WW?

You might try the National Library but its a long shot. The Peace Pledge Union (google it and e-mail them) might be able to locate men from the main towns of the area, not sure if they can report on the county level.

Bernard

Hello Harvey,

As Bernard has advised, it would be worth E mailing the Peace Pledge Union archivist archives@ppu.org.uk, and asking if they have any information. The PPU are constructing a database of Conscientious Objectors so I am sure that if you across details of COs from other sources, it would be helpful to forward this to them.

As MB mentioned above, Conscientious Objectors & Military Service Tribunals have been discussed on other threads so worth an extensive search here on GWF.

It would be worth going through local papers, and also trying to references to the No-Conscription Fellowship, trying to work out where your local branch would have been. If you're lucky you might find their membership list which could be a useful source of cross reference. It might be worth approaching your county archives to see what they hold. Your nearest Society of Friends (Quakers) might also have informaton or ideas where to trace source material.

Regards

Michael Bully

Does anyone have any records of C O's in Caernarfonshire during the first WW?