Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Numbering - 6th Dragoon Guards.......

QSAMIKE

Good Morning Everyone......

I picked up the following yesterday at the local Gun Show here in Calgary.......

A group of medals to the 6th Dragoon Guards for the Boer War and World War One......

As listed below....

My question is the naming of the War and Victory medals......

6DG- 924 PTE. G. PARKYN 6th DRAGOON GUARDS

I have never seen this before, the unit name before and after the soldiers name.....

Mike

QSA - 3924 PTE. G. PARKYN 6th DRAGOON GUARDS ( CC, OFS, DRI., D.H., BELFAST)

KSA - 3924 PTE. G. PARKYN 6th DRAGOON GUARDS ( S.A. 01 / 02)

1914 STAR (NO BAR) - 3924 PTE. G. PARKYN 6th DRAGOON GUARDS

BWM - 6DG-3924 PTE. G. PARKYN 6th DRAGOON GUARDS

VICTORY - 6DG- 924 PTE. G. PARKYN 6th DRAGOON GUARDS

post-59838-0-47451400-1358102150_thumb.j

There is no mention of 924 on his medal index card, I assume the 3 has been missed in error. His number was changed from 6DG3924 to D/20302.

George Parkyn first went overseas 16th August 1914.

The prefix 6DG suggests a later issue post War Many units had Prefixes but few were used on BWM and Victory Medals,It would be more common to find such a prefix on a Star.

I suspect 924 is either a Typo in the posting or an error on the Medal as it would be 3924?..

I have found him in Boer War records - Lance Corporal 3924 George Parkyn (he is a Private on his WW1 record). 6th Dragoon Guards, Carabiniers - Johannesburg, Diamond Hill, Belfast, Cape Colony and Orange Free State. Natal 5.

A second record has him as Private 3924 awarded South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902 Clasps on 1st October 1902. This record was completed in Bangalore in February 1903.

Hello Sadie and Harry and Thankyou......

Yes that was a typo on my part it should have read 3924 and I try will correct it.....

Since he went overseas 16th August 1914 would he not have the Mons Bar?????

Sadie you mention the bar Natal, can you confirm from your records......

I have him listed as:

Parkyn, G., 3924, Lance Corporal, 6th Dragoon Guards, Johannesburg, Diamond Hill, Belfast, Cape Colony, OFS.

Thanks again for the assistance......

Mike

Edited by QSAMIKE

The file is too big to upload here. If you PM me your email address I will send you a copy of the record.

Looking through the other men, the number under Natal seems to be the total awarded.

I can send the MIC too.

Sandie

Hi Mike,

The addition of a prefix to the number on the British War and Victory Medal is fairly common with the cavalry. His number (3924) is, as noted, a 6th Dragoon Guards regimental number. There was equally a 3924 in the 7th Dragoon Guards (Pte W J Lock), 11th Hussars (Pte J Woods) and many more besides. The prefix was added for admin purposes to ensure that there were no confusions. His later number has the prefix D indicating a Corps of Dragoon Guards number allocated to him at some time from 1917 onwards - he was probably still serving with the 6th Dragoon Guards but the D-number prevented the aformentioned confusion and associated admin errors, being spread across all the Dragoon Guards and Dragoons regiments (including some of the Yeomanry).

As for the Clasp to the 1914 Star, there is no indication that he was awarded one. The individual (or next of kin) usually had to apply for it and supply associated evidence that they fulfilled the criteria for its award (i.e. in operations within range of the enemy's mobile artillery). He may well have met the criteria, but ultimately, no claim - no award.

From my research, of the members of the 6th Dragoon Guards that were awarded the 1914 Star, only 49% were officially awarded the Clasp.

Hope that helps?

Regards,

Paul

PS - Nice group!

• 1 year later...

I have a virtually identical group in my collection

3495 Pte. Ernest Edward Kelcey 6th Dragoon Guards

QSA ROK , Paard, Drief, Johann, Belffast

KSA 1901 , 1902

1914 star with original clasp (confirmed by MIC)

BWM. 6DG - 3495 Pte E.E. Kelcey 6 -D.GDS

Victory named as above

• 4 months later...
Guest Heatherdee

Hi gentlemen and Sandie:

George Parkyn was my great grandfather. I have an entry (and National Roll of Great War book original I inherited from my father). All we know of him is through military, vital stats and census records I mostly have uncovered over the years.

He was awarded the Mons Star in addition to the QSA, KSA, General Service and Victory medals. He was discharged in 1919 and died in 1922 from injuries he sustained. I have death certificate. ​I have also located his pauper grave he shares with my ggm and a son no one knew about. I had appealed to have his grave memorialized through Commonwealth War Graves Commission but they said he died two months past their cut off. They (local council) want me to purchase the rights to his grave for another 20 years. There is one more space left in the plot and can be turned over to another family by the local cemetery management if I don't.

Can I apply to have mons bar issued?

Kind Regards,
Heather

Guest Heatherdee

I edited my post above and asked a question one of you may know answer to. Thanks to Mike's post, we will make sure this group gets returned to our family. Grateful!