Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals for those KIA

bandicoot

Hi,

Please forgive a newcomer's ignorance, but when a man was killed in action did his next-of-kin automatically receive his medals, or did they have to apply for them?

Our relative Private Alfred Ashley WILLIS, 3/8547, 2nd Battalion Suffolk Regiment was killed by shellfire on 15th January 1915 in the Ypres salient. The regiment was in trenches near Vierstraat at the time.

Nobody in the family knows what may have happened to his medals.

I know it is a very long shot, but does anyone out there have them?

Thank you.

Bandicoot

All ORs eligible for medals were sent them automatically when they were issued. If the soldier was dead (or missing) they would be sent to the NoK that was named in his records. Officers (or their surviving family) had to apply for their medals.

If for any reason the medals were not deilvered (NoK had moved for example) then this should be noted on the soldiers MIC card. These can be accessed on line either on Ancestry or through the National Archives

Hello,

I've had a quick look at Ancestry, I can't see any reference that the medals were returned or disposed of, so I would assume that they were issued to the family. He was entitled to a 1914 Star, a British War medal & a Victory. He also got a clasp, which is a small bar worn on the star ribbon.

He landed overseas 15/09/1914. There is also a note suggesting the correct surname should be Williss.

Hope this helps,

Spud

Why did officers have to apply for their medals? Any particular reason?

I've never seen a reason given and can't posit any logical suggestion.

Thanks Mr C. always seemed to be a rather odd setup to me, one rule for the OR's and another for the gentry. :hypocrite:

Thanks Mr C. always seemed to be a rather odd setup to me, one rule for the OR's and another for the gentry. :hypocrite:

Except in this case "the gentry" get the worse deal!