Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

29 August 1914

Anthony Pigott

S.-D. continues:

"On the 29th we had a little trouble getting the 3rd and 4th Divisions south of the Oise. Both had been delayed the previous night helping de Lisle's Cavalry Brigade to keep the enemy off. It was on this day that General Pulteney (now Lieutenant-General Sir William Pulteney, K.C.B., K.C.M.G., K.C.V.O., D.S.O.) arrived to form the III Corps and, two days later, took from me the 4th Division and 19th Brigade which General Head-quarters had left with me since the 26th. Otherwise, beyond moving my Corps five miles, ready for the next day's march, we did little. I, however, was called to General Head-quarters at Compiegne, some twelve miles south of Noyon, to receive instructions from the C.-in-C. I found with him the Chief of Staff (Murray), Haig, and Allenby; General Joffre and one or two of his Staff were also there. This was very interesting, as it was the first time I had seen the distinguished Chief of the Allies. Joffre gave us good news of the progress of an attack by the 18th, 5th, and 10th French Corps towards St. Quentin (known as the battle of Guise) which he had ordered to help us. We heard subsequently that the French right was successful in driving the Germans back, but that their left, as the British did not assist, could make no progress. [Haig had wanted to assist by attacking the German flank but had been refused by French - AP]

The main object of the meeting, however, appeared to be a discussion between our Chief and the French Chief. The latter wanted us to remain up in the line, but the British Chief was insistent that the B.E.F. must continue withdrawing as it was not in a fit state to fight until it had repaired damages, especially in the matter of material. Consequently we resumed our retreat next day, twelve miles to the Aisne. It was on this day that I published the following to the troops :

ORDER OF THE DAY

HEADQUARTERS 2ND ARMY CORPS, 29th August 1914.

As it is possible the troops of the 2nd Army Corps do not understand the operations of the last few days, commencing on the 21st instant with the advance to the line of the Mons Canal and ending with a retirement to our present position on the River Oise about Noyon, the Commander of the Corps desires to let Troops know that the object was to delay the advance of a far superior force of the enemy to enable our Allies to conduct operations elsewhere. This object, owing to the skilful handling of the Commanders of units and the magnificent fighting spirit shown by all ranks against overwhelming odds, and in spite of very heavy casualties, was achieved, and the French Army is now reported to be advancing.

That our difficulties were not greater in the retirement from the HAUCOURT-CAUDRY—BEAUMONT-LE CATEAU position on the 26th instant is largely due to the support given by French troops, chiefly General Sordet's Cavalry Corps, operating on the west flank of the British troops, and we may be thankful to our gallant comrades in arms.

General Sir Horace Smith-Dorrien, whilst regretting the terribly heavy casualties and the weary forced marches, in which it has been impossible to distribute the necessary amount of food, begs to thank all ranks and to express his admiration of the grand fighting and determined spirit shown by all ranks, and his pride in being allowed to command such a splendid force.

He is sure that, whenever it is thought necessary to assume the offensive again, the Troops will be as pleased as he will himself. "