Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Claim Medals

jakeduggan

I was wondering if it is possible for next of kin to claim WW1 medals , thanks

Are these medals that were never issued (for example, officers who never applied for theirs), or ones that have been mislaid/lost since they were issued and replacements are desired?

In either case I'm afraid that the issue or replacement of medals from the First World War and earlier was stopped in the 1980s, if memory serves. One recourse is to purchase some of the decent quality replicas which are sold nowadays, and have them named appropriately.

Other options might exist, so feel free to comment folks.

Clive

Some were not issued and others were lost through the years , thanks for your help.

Unnamed originals (most often erased) come up for sale quite often. Rgds Tim D

• 2 weeks later...

I would buy a similar set similar to the ones once held by your rellie. A trio or pair to a man of the same regiment.

Buying erased/vandalised medals creates a market for them and, as such, encourages people to remove the medals identity. Someone maybe, like you, hunting for a rellies medals.

A mate of mine sent his medals (a South Atlantic Medal & Rosete and Northern Ireland GSM) back to Primeminister Blair in a protest against one of his little wars. I asked for them back, as I knew he would regret his actions. They were not forthcoming.....lost, supposedly.

He bought a similar set to another unit, though left them as they were. Repro's are generally a bit naff in quality.

Dick