Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

227th Siege Battery R.G.A war diaries

rcroucher

Hi all,

I've recently started researching, for the first time, military histories and in particular that of my great grandfather. I believe he was part of the 28th Siege Battery before presumably transferring to the 227th(?). It would seem that he may have undertaken two 'tours' one beginning in 1915 and the second in 1917. The long and the short of it is that iI have been able to source war diaries for the 28th but now I'm looking for those of the 227th. My great grandfather was, i believe, injured on his second tour but I have no further details, i haven't been able to source pension records for him. I'm happy to order documents for the National Archives but without dates i would have to request the entire diary (last time i tried that they quoted me in excess of £500 to digitise the documents)

I realise that it's a long shot that he should be mentioned (aside from that it's interesting to read about his activities during the time) but I think this might be the only option available to me now to find out what happened. Rumor has it that he was struck by a recoiling artillery shell which resulted in the loss of his leg and I'm sort of hoping that it may have been recorded as an accident.

Can anyone suggest an alternative for obtaining them or perhaps even have a copy themselves which they may be willing to share?

Many thanks

Robin

Robin: The war diary for 277th Siege Battery, RGA is only available for the period October 1916 to December 1917 under WO 95/397. If you are willing to wait for a few weeks I will order a digital copy of the war diary from my UK researcher and let you know if your great grandfather is mentioned. You will need to send me your great grandfather's name by PM. You mention that 'rumor has it that he was struck by a recoiling artillery shell'. I have never heard of a 'recoiling artillery shell' and would think it much more likely that he was hit by the 'recoil' of the gun.

Regards, Dick Flory

Hello Robin

My Father was in the 227 sge btry R G A he went out to France with them on 7th jan 1917.

I have the war diaries from jan 1917 to 31st 10th 1917 from then on I have some info: from 6th Brigade R G A.

If I can be of any help just ask, I will need a name.By the way the photo in the corner is my fathers gun crew.

Regards Graham.

Thanks both for the replies, forums like this and individuals such as yourself make such a difference! before i started all my genealogy research i didn't even realise i had ancestors who served in the war (despite the fact that i suppose statistically the chances of me NOT having a relative in service are probably quite slim) This aspect of my research has been really enlightening.

Dick,

If you are happy to do that i would be REALLY grateful! Will the name & number i'll PM you the details once i've finished this post. Also, thank you for your more plausible explanation re my great grandfathers accident. I think we have just illustrated how forums such as this can be essential for people like myself.

Graham,

Is it possible for you to send me copies of whatever you have for the 227th? At this point i'm trying to gather as much documentation as i can, i'd really appreciate it. I'll take a better look at the photo too!

• 3 months later...

Hello gents,

Stumbled upon this topic concerning the 227th Siege Battery. From the paperwork of a Captain Leslie Knight Leeson I seem to draw the conclusion that he was in command of the 227th from July 1916 until July 1917 (as acting Major). Can anyone confirm (or perhaps deny) this (from the war diary)?

Thanks for the help!

Kind regards from Flanders

Roel

Roel, That is NOT confirmed. Capt a/Mjr E. B. Maxwell MC OC 227 SB is the signatory from Jan1917 to July 1917. The battery went out to the WF 7th Jan 1917. Are your dates correct? Rgds Paul

Robin: The war diary for 277th Siege Battery, RGA is only available for the period October 1916 to December 1917 under WO 95/397. If you are willing to wait for a few weeks I will order a digital copy of the war diary from my UK researcher and let you know if your great grandfather is mentioned. You will need to send me your great grandfather's name by PM. You mention that 'rumor has it that he was struck by a recoiling artillery shell'. I have never heard of a 'recoiling artillery shell' and would think it much more likely that he was hit by the 'recoil' of the gun.

Regards, Dick Flory

Good for you Dick, its generosity like that which shows this forum at its best, don't be embarrassed if I note its not the first time I've seen you make such helpful offers and

I salute you sir

love4history wrote: From the paperwork of a Captain Leslie Knight Leeson I seem to draw the conclusion that he was in command of the 227th from July 1916 until July 1917 (as acting Major).

According to my records (I once owned his named Military Cross) Leeson was commanding 227th Siege Battery, RGA from 30 Dec 1917 to March 1919.

Dick Flory

Thank you very much for the help gentlemen! Sorry for the late reply. Tried to make sense of the paperwork of Major Leeson but I seem to have misinterpreted somewhere. Will have to go through the data again.

Indeed you did Dick, and stilll a nice piece in my collection it is :)

Actually I'm working on a new display case for his MC, hence my question. Could you (or anyone) enlighten me as to what type of howitsers the 227th was equiped in that period (dec 17 - nov 18).? Would like to try to find an image of the guns to display with his MC.

Best regards from Flanders

Roel

My Father was with 227th and he was a cpl on a 8" Howitzer according to Sir Martin Farndale, But my Dad always said he was on a 9.2" like the one on the War Memorial at hyde park

Many Regards Graham.

g-collins is correct. 227th Siege Battery went to the Western Front with four 8" Howitzers on 7 January 1917 and made up to six 8" Howitzers on 29 January 1918.

• 7 years later...

7 years later I have just purchased the war diary for 227th Siege Battery to research Gnr 110127 Albert Harris. If anyone needs anything from please let me know.

2 hours ago, ianshuter said:

7 years later I have just purchased the war diary for 227th Siege Battery to research Gnr 110127 Albert Harris. If anyone needs anything from please let me know.

Hopefully you got it for free as the TNA isn't charging for downloads at the moment.

My advice to you is also look at the relevant HAG (Heavy Artillery Group) diary that 227SB were part of for the period that you are researching. You can often find small snippets of additional info in these higher level diaries. 

Alan.

• 7 months later...
On 07/07/2020 at 15:31, ianshuter said:

Hi Ian,

I’m looking into my great grandfather I’ve managed to find out that he was A DVR in 

RFA 776475 and RGA 2/2686 I have a copy of his medal roll card where I find he is part of the 227th seige battery (RGA/227B) I also have his Army number. I’m wondering if there is any more information on my GGF in the war diary you have purchased. I believe they were deployed to Cornwall on the 10th Oct 1915 I believe they also fought in France 1916-17 and Belgium in 1918. I’m hoping my GGF is mentioned in the diary! 
Any additional information would be truly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Rachel 

Rachel

Is this your great grandfather - Frederick R Moseley ?

Reference: WO 372/14/116740
Description:
Medal card of Moseley, Frederick R
Corps Regiment No Rank
Royal Field Artillery 776475 Driver
Royal Garrison Artillery 212686 Driver

Rachel:  I am sorry to tell you that the "RGA/227B" on Dvr. Frederick R. Moseley's medal index card does not refer to his unit (battery) but rather is the page number for his name on the medal roll.

9 hours ago, ianjonesncl said:

Rachel

Is this your great grandfather - Frederick R Moseley ?

Reference: WO 372/14/116740
Description:
Medal card of Moseley, Frederick R
Corps Regiment No Rank
Royal Field Artillery 776475 Driver
Royal Garrison Artillery 212686 Driver

Hi Ian,

Yes you’re right Frederick R Moseley was my Great Grandfather. 😀

kind regards

Rachel 

9 hours ago, rflory said:

Rachel:  I am sorry to tell you that the "RGA/227B" on Dvr. Frederick R. Moseley's medal index card does not refer to his unit (battery) but rather is the page number for his name on the medal roll.

Hi Rflory

thank you for you message,

I’m new to all this, I sent the medal roll card to my friend who’s brothers dad and grandfathers all serve in the army and I was advised that he received the victory medal and the British medal for service within RGA/227B the page number is listed as 12822.

Regards 

Rachel

Rachel

Your GGF served with both the Royal Field Artillery, lighter mobile guns, and the Royal Garrison Artillery, heavy guns. As a driver he would have been a horseman

The Long Long Trail can give you information;

The Royal Artillery in the First World War – The Long, Long Trail

The Royal Field Artillery moved guns and ammunition by teams of horses. 

large.GunTeam.jpg.297a241034ae6a33740362d7830f19d3.jpg

The Royal Garrison Artillery manned the heavy guns, some of which would be moved by heavy draught horses;

large.233060207_BigGunstotheFront.jpg.e0ca272660f5baafcd07e3290ba9a995.jpg

Rachel

His RFA number 776475 is in a block which was issued in 1917 to the Territorials of one of the West Riding Artillery brigades;

to

245 BDE, RFA TF/ 1/1 W RIDING BDE

to

310 BDE, RFA TF/ 2/1 W RIDING

21 minutes ago, ianjonesncl said:

The Royal Garrison Artillery manned the heavy guns, some of which would be moved by heavy draught horses;

Another picture of a 60 Pounder Heavy Battery on the move.

hb.JPG

Hi Rachel,

From his 776475 RFA number, it seems likely that when Frederick first went overseas he was serving with 310 Brigade, RFA. Papers for surrounding numbers show that 776460 Fulton, 776464 Hone, 776475, 776476 Nichols, and 776477 Palmer all went over with that Brigade - leaving Southampton on 7th January 1917, and arriving at Le Havre on the 8th. A couple of them were however later posted to another Brigade following a period of hospitalisation.  The war diary for 310 Bde RFA is available as a free download from the National Archives - link. To give that diary more context it might also be worth getting those for the Commander Royal Artillery, 62 Division; and 62 Division Headquarters (General Staff). The National Archives search page is here. There is an overview of the Division here.

I didn't see a service file as such for Frederick, but I did see the solitary page below which indicates that he was transferred to the RGA post war on 18.7.1919.

image.png.1946b702d216ce594823ed5b4fe3e397.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

Do any of the DoBs below match what you know for Frederick?

image.png.5e5e304a36a31fa35341b7f91f9068fd.png

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk
Spelling

Hi Rachel,

Just to clarify the Medal Index Card reference, this is the slip in the actual medal roll for RGA/227B covering pages of the roll 12727 to 12827.

image.png.e5f227bf80b16a18f57fa0c6db6393f2.png

The page number of 12822 you have is this one - it's typed towards the top right hand corner, just under the 'P' and 'S' of "CORPS".

image.png.6626b1629fa5ee72082f1fad419480ed.png

Images sourced from Ancestry

Regards

Chris

Hello Gentlemen,

I am just overwhelmed by how much information you have all provided me with. The pictures are amazing! I shall be definitely being following up on the links that’s been attached to posts, I’ve got a lot of reading to do! 
My GGF birth was registered in July August September of 1897 I’ve also found a baptism record for him in July 1897 

I will attach screenshots popped on genes reunited his exact DoB is 07 July 1897 my nan  said that her dad was 17 when he first joined the army. 
Thank you all so much!!

Kind regards 

Rachel

E6F1FEC7-3DA2-4E54-A037-9F7EDDA148A1.png.a79cc1450f50fa0269e8b9b0c3cfbe72.png

7922F73F-AE64-4776-A464-374D08D1086E.png

354F78A0-17F1-4DEB-9947-3332C90327AD.png