Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1915 Warrant Officer Changes + Sam Browne Belt?

Lyndale

Dear Listners,

Does anyone please know the actual date in 1915 when Kings Regulations introduced the extra Warrant Officer rank so that there became WO1 and WO2?

Previously the single rank of 'Warrant Officer' wore the rank badge of a single crown, but when this changed the single crown was downgraded to WO2 and the new rank of WO1 was introduced wearing the new rank badge of the Coat of Arms.

Also, would the new rank of WO2 during 1915-18 wear the Sam Browne cross belt, or would that atire be restricted only to WO1's when the new WO1 rank was introduced?

I'm attempting to date a photo of a Warrant Officer of the Dorset Yeomanry (TF) in 1915 wearing just the single crowns on his lower arms, but who is also wearing a Sam Browne belt, so the change over date would help me pin down if he was the single RSM or one of several WO2's when the picture was taken. I'm working on the theory that he's probably James McElligott born in Glasgow in 1869, late of the 2nd Dragoons.

The photo is attached which I think is dated 1915 prior to the introduction of the new WO1 rank badges.

Thank you, Lyndale.

Dorset Yeomanry WO 244KB.pdf