Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fourth Army in the Hundred Days 8th August to 11th November 1918

Crunchy

Hi,

Very interesting, Thanks, we were "in the way" the 90th day ^_^ . Unfortunately, for those books the question is always the same : where are the maps ( those in the "map case")

Regards

Alain

N&M do offer a reprint with a small maps volume.I'm not sure if they will sell the maps separately, I think its unlikely.

Keith

• 3 years later...

Thanks, Keith,

What a find - just what I was looking for.  Thanks again.  Pity about no maps - am looking especialy for campaign/battle maps around Joncourt, Chataignes Wood, where my grandfather fought and won the MM during action between 29 Sep to 2 Oct 1918.  He served with the 10th Batt, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

Cheers,

Graham

Hi Graham,

Welcome to the forum.

The 32 Division HQ (General Staff) diary is worth a look at. It contains a couple of maps, and a narrative of operations for the period 29th September - 5th October 1918. Part of the narrative reads:

"2nd October 1918 

... At 0830 one company of the 10th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders attacked the FONSOMME line with a view to extending our positions southwards in the trench system. They were met with very intense M.G.fire and were not able to gain their objective although they attacked with the utmost determination.

The bravery and devotion of 8 men under a Sergeant is worthy of special notice.

This party belonged to a half company which was sent to enter the trench believed held by the Manchester Regiment. On entering the trench they were to work Southwards and gain touch with the troops attacking from the west. The Sergeant and his party on reaching the trench found that part of it held by the enemy and there ensued hand to hand fighting.

The bodies of the sergeant and his men were subsequently found in thirty yards of trench which they had cleared having captured 11 machine guns and killed 16 of the enemy.".

I wonder if your grand father was one of those men, and if it's why he was awarded the MM.

Regards

Chris

Many thanks for the speedy response, Chris.

I'll take a decco at the narrative shortly.  I had read the report about the Sergeant and eight ORs but thought that they had died fighting.  My grandfather made it out of the war but died when he was 38, in 1936.  The family story is that his health was damaged by gas attacks during the final stages of the war.  I have read that there was plenty of gas shells aimed at his regiment during that time, so it could be that he suffered from the gas from then.

Cheers,

Graham

Hi Chris,

Clicked on your link, however it keeps going to the Ancestry site instead of any diary.  Would I need to be a member of Ancestry to gain access to that document?

Cheers,

Graham

• 2 months later...

bonjour graham

j ai trouve un bois des châtaigniers entre ramicourt  et levergies    au lieu dit de preselles  

cela doit corespondre a ce que vous cherchez

gggg.JPG