Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Canadian Militia Unit - pre 1914

expat

I hope I am not breaking any rules doing this post this way, but the original question I had was made late last year. Following is information I have obtained which may be of interest to the correspondents to the first post ,and to other researchers.My original question related to the "Prince Rupert Light Infantry".

The archivist at the Prince Rupert City and Regional Archives has been extremely helpful and supplied the following information:

" In 1909 Prince Rupert`s local militia was called the Muskeg Scouts" and later commissioned as the "Earl Grey`s Own Rifles" and authorized on May 1, 1910. On November 2, 1914 it was redesignated " 68th Regiment ( Earl Grey`s Own Rifles )" under the command of Lt. Col. Cyrus W. Peck.

In reference to the " Prince Rupert Light Infantry " - they are referring to the 68th Regiment that was redesignated on November 2. 1914. We Have newspaper articles that call the regiment the " 68th Prince Rupert Light Infantry " but that was not it`s formal name. "

The archivist has thus cleared up a mystery. " Muskeg Scouts" certainly has a romantic ring to the name. !!!

George