Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC abbreviation

Grovetown

Can anyone tell me what 3 FS stands for in the RFC context? It is a unit named in TNA records to a pilot I have researched.

Thanks,

Grovetown.

Thanks Signals,

My initial thought, but dismissed because they - apart from Central FS - seemed to be styled Schools of Aeronautics (ie SoA). Still remains a possibility.

Rgds,

Grovetown.

Thanks to everyone for that. The man in question had a mildly interesting war; tinged with later sadness.

He was a pre-war motor engineer, who went to France as an ASC private in August 1914. As his posting overseas was very soon after his enlistment, I have assumed - because of his trade and family background - that he was one of the gentleman volunteers who assisted the ASC with private motor cars before the war. This, perhaps, would have qualified him fast for OS service.

He applied for the Royal Flying Corps in July 1915, graduating from Upavon in October, receiving his commission at the same time. In April 1916 he was posted to 26 Sqdn; then 34 Sqdn in March 1917. He was subsequently deemed ‘unfit’ and assigned as a ferry pilot. In November '17, he was made Equipment Officer 2nd Class (Technical). In August 1918 he was attached to 3 FS – with his unfit status continued.

At the time of his 26 Sqdn posting - and I stand to be corrected here as I'm light on details - it was based in Mombasa, East Africa, thence returning to the Western Front. Its personnel were apparently ravaged by disease, and this may explain the ‘unfit’ classification. It maybe he was rendered by service there as only fit for light/ occasional duties such as ferrying and, latterly, technical. No reason for unfitness is given in the file.

Aircraft flown: Avro ‘Standard’, BE 2b, 2c, 8a, 12, 12d; Bleriot, Caudron, DH4

Fe 2b, 2d; Maurice Farman (Shorthorn), Morane Parasol, RE7, RE8.

His son was a pilot Killed in Action in '43.

Rgds,

Grovetown.