Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ivor Darby medals

Mdarbycharles

In response to never give up looking for medals, I'd really like to get hold of my great grandfather's medals

My great grandmother, I can see wrote a letter to the wo asking where his scroll was.

He died on may4th 1918 and was a private in the 9th battalion Cheshire reg, rwf.

So I think would have been given the victory medal and his " death penny".

I don't know what might have happened to these medals, they might have been buried with my g grandmother, she died in 1931.

Any info would be greatly received.

In response to never give up looking for medals, I'd really like to get hold of my great grandfather's medals

My great grandmother, I can see wrote a letter to the wo asking where his scroll was.

He died on may4th 1918 and was a private in the 9th battalion Cheshire reg, rwf.

So I think would have been given the victory medal and his " death penny".

I don't know what might have happened to these medals, they might have been buried with my g grandmother, she died in 1931.

Any info would be greatly received.

Hi,

He was entitled to the British War Medal and Victory Medals.

Do you know there are 23 pages of his Service record on Ancestry?

Regards

Cam

Yes, thank you cam.

It came as a shock both of his death and also later those pages.they are very interesting and also sad at the same time.

Do you know why there are two sets of pages?

I think I have seen a death penny somewhere when as I was little although not sure when or where or even how. I just remember being fascinated by it.

It would be lovely to find these medals.

Yes, thank you cam.

It came as a shock both of his death and also later those pages.they are very interesting and also sad at the same time.

Do you know why there are two sets of pages?

I think I have seen a death penny somewhere when as I was little although not sure when or where or even how. I just remember being fascinated by it.

It would be lovely to find these medals.

Hi,

Glad you have his service record, there are many members, myself included who would love to have their relatives paperwork.

I'm not sure why there are two sets, I would guess it was an error when the originals were digitised. I'm sure someone on here will know the answer.

Good luck with your hunt.

Cam.

They make interesting reading if sad cam, sometimes they pose more questions than they answer.

I understand only 30% of them survived and some are a bit burnt.

Sorry cam , if I'm being a bit impolite but I notice that you have a soldier in your bit at the end, looking through my g grandfather's regiment, I noticed a lot of the 10th Btn, Cheshire reg, royal welch, were at tynecot and I wondered what happened them.

Is Noah Powell buried in etaples? My ggrandfather is buried in Boulogne , not far apart.

They make interesting reading if sad cam, sometimes they pose more questions than they answer.

I understand only 30% of them survived and some are a bit burnt.

Sorry cam , if I'm being a bit impolite but I notice that you have a soldier in your bit at the end, looking through my g grandfather's regiment, I noticed a lot of the 10th Btn, Cheshire reg, royal welch, were at tynecot and I wondered what happened them.

Is Noah Powell buried in etaples? My ggrandfather is buried in Boulogne , not far apart.

Hi,

I'll PM you later, as it's a bit off topic.

All the best

Cam.

I'm not sure why there are two sets,

1 set generally travelled with his unit (possibly at Battalion level but I'd suspect Brigade level was more likely) and the 2nd set was retained at the home depot.

1 set generally travelled with his unit (possibly at Battalion level but I'd suspect Brigade level was more likely) and the 2nd set was retained at the home depot.

Thanks for that. I knew someone would know the answer.

Regards

Cam

• 1 month later...