Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Driver's/ motorcyclist's 'winter suit' query

Grovetown

Recently acquired this image from John in Minnesota, primarily because it's a nice shot of the issue drivers' red rubber googles (also worn by the RFC in its early days).

But I don't recognise the jacket. On the back of the card, the author refers to it as 'one of our winter suits', and while it bears some resemblance to the motorcyclists' waterproof jacket I'm not sure (having referred to Chambers, Bodsworth etc) that it's the same thing. Any suggestions?

Driverswintersuit001_zps50261dd6.jpg

And on the back of the card, our man refers to having another type of suit - looks like 'jalu' (jute?) - but can't for the life of me work out what he's written. Again, any suggestions?

DriverswintersuitCaption_zps9b93e33a.jpg

Cheers,

GT.

Thanks TM.

I have, I think, three pairs of these goggles - no box, so well done there - and I'm sure one of them is marked Siebe which would, after a fashion, be consistent with the swimming theme.

And I've also seen them described as pre-war RFC issue, but nothing to prove that. Obviously, widespread wartime RFC issue - primarily for ORs, according to Cormack's British Air Forces - but nothing to indicate whether they were, as you say, simply commercial items pressed into use or contract items. He describes them as being 'relegated' to MT etc in the autumn of 1915.

The Siebe pair suggest they were generic, home and abroad, though.

Jacket is bugging me mind.

Centurion: good call methinks - thanks.

Cheers,

GT.

Unfortunately he isn't standing front on to the camera but the jacket does look similar to that issued to French Renault FT tankers

RNAS - Transport Section No 11TDS Old Sarum.

Same beast ?

Sorry, I'm talking rot - yours oilskin mine leather.

post-53823-0-65986000-1357679002_thumb.j

Edited by Suddery

RNAS - Transport Section No 11TDS Old Sarum.

Same beast ?

Nah: your man is wearing a full-length 'plastron-fronted' flying coat, with slash map pocket. I've one of these, and it definitely ain't the same as that in the first picture.

Thanks for the thought though.

Cheers,

GT.

GT,

As you already know that is not the "Jacket, Lined (or unlined), WP Motorcyclists".

One of the more frustrating aspects of uniforms/clothing is trying to nail down all the different patterns of coats/jackets/frocks etc that were waterproof and special issue.

The info on page 240 of Bodsworths boot is pretty useless except as a list of things he found in Clothing regs etc and can't identify.

I've done some research on waterproof clothing trying to get some kind of identification between patterns--not much better than Bodsworth's info.

However, I believe what this Motorcyclist is wearing might be the short lived "Coats, Leather, Motor cyclists". It was pattern sealed around the start of the war and was quickly superceded by the waterproof jackets (a lot were pattern sealed prior to the war particulary the lined versions) that were either of a Mackintosh type material or pegamoid (waterproof varnish on the inside usually). It's not pegamoid or Mac type construction.

The MT Goggles were pattern sealed prior to the war.

Take Care,

Joe Sweeney

• 3 weeks later...

GT,

Thanks and I hope the mud is gone (forever)!!!

Take care,

Joe

Your forum inbox seems full Joe...

Anyhow: have emailed the cape and boot images. Had to use my Hotmail for one reason and another, so please check your junk/ spam folders if they've not arrived.

Cheers,

GT.